PDA

View Full Version : turboing a single cylinder carbed bike

dsbomb89
04-07-2008, 07:01 PM
anyone know the ins and outs for turboing a single cylinder carbureted bike? its a ds650, compression ratio is 9.5:1 (standard) how much boost can you run before you have to lower compression, how can you make the carby work without going efi, etc etc. any help would be much appreciated. not going to buy a kit, making my own. looking at a garret t25 turbo, will that be ok? do you need to run oil coolers? will be putting a intercooler on. if any one has done it or knows anyone who has done it any info would be much appreciated. cheers

rustyATV
04-07-2008, 10:06 PM
You're opening up a real barrel of monkeys. The answer to a lot of your questions starts with "It depends...."

I recommend this.

http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-Turbocharger-Engineering-Performance/dp/0837601606/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207627561&sr=8-1

Read it. Learn it. Love it.

GPracer2500
04-07-2008, 10:39 PM
In addition to what rustyATV mentioned (I'm a sucker for technical text).....

In the 400EX section there was a recent thread where a fella installed a turbo on a 400EX. He was using a carb. Might want to get with him or at least check out his thread.

ryanh250ex
04-08-2008, 02:11 PM
blow-through using pitot tube

rustyATV
04-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
In addition to what rustyATV mentioned (I'm a sucker for technical text).....

Truth be told, that book isn't really a design guide, nor is it a super technical manual, but it has a lot of things to think about and, if I recall, some guidelines to sizing the compressor and turbine.

400exrider99
04-08-2008, 08:24 PM
there is a company that makes a turbo kit for the ds650, so you should do some research about them.

rustyATV
04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah because, truth be told, half of engineering is just ripping off someone else's ideas.

:D

No, really.......

wilkin250r
04-09-2008, 12:47 AM
I would be interested in learning.

Years ago, I got the wild bug up my rear end to put Nitrous on a quad. So I researched it, put together a kit, and had a blast (almost literally, a blast, because I blew the engine)

I don't think I'll ever do a turbo, but I'm interested in how you achieve it. It seems to me that you would need to pressurize the gas tank, and carb float bowl along with the intake. I wonder what other kind of factors need to be considered.

dsbomb89
04-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Thanks, the books really good. grabbed a copy from my uni library really helpful. like you say not everything, but a really good start. tells you how to set up the carb for blow through, how to work out what turbo, how much boost you can run off what octane with what comp ratio etc etc. there is enough if you have a bit of know how to make it work from that book.

and yeah thats pretty much what i figured lol. its just i dont know of anyone in NZ that does them, im pretty sure you would have to go custom here. ill talk to some of the turbo guys anyway and some fabricators etc etc.

thanks

dsbomb89
04-09-2008, 12:54 AM
yea thats the only problem, really really easy to blow your motor as as per usual everythings right on the limits haha. i'll do a bit more research and let you know once i start fabricating it all
****in reply to wilkin250r***

what went wrong with the nitrous lol

wilkin250r
04-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by dsbomb89
****in reply to wilkin250r***

what went wrong with the nitrous lol

There are only two problems with nitrous, ever. You either go too lean, or you take it too far. Like any normal idiot, I took it too far.

It was an old beat-up 250x that I bought for a few hundred bucks. After a few problems, I saw about 5hp with a certain size jet, we'll say a "20". I didn't want 5hp, I wanted 10. So I figured I was safe with a "24". I also didn't like the mounting location, so I moved the nozzle the same time I put in the larger jets.

When I hit the button, the motor roared, and the front end shot skyward (I was in 3rd gear) I managed to ride it out, it was probably the longest wheelie of my life. I had a grin from ear to ear for two weeks.

Unfortunately, the motor never really ran right after that. It was old to begin with, and just couldn't handle the extra power. Later calculations told me I was pushing about 40hp total, which is twice what that little motor puts out in stock form.

I rebuilt the engine a few years later, and sold the entire quad (minus the nitrous) to finance a wedding in Hawaii.

dsbomb89
04-18-2008, 06:57 PM
ok getting there. moved the radiator, got the turbo. does anyone know of a fuel pressure reg and pump that would be suitable for the low pressure? going to run it on methanol most likely so has to be suitable for that. also the reg has to work from zero i would think for a carb application?

also, could someone explain the pilot tube set up as im thinking this will be easier for a blow thru rather than putting it in a box, not enough room and tuning would be a b+%$h.

91trx250
04-20-2008, 12:17 AM
if u have a quad that is carbed. then you need to run a IHI RHB-31 VZ21 TURBOCHARGER heres sum info on it

one of the smallest turbos that has ever been produced! Great for a replacement or custom turbo projects on bikes or quads. It is one of very few turbos that will work from super low displacement engines, all the way up to 900cc! It can flow up to about 125HP. The polished compressor housing is flanged so it is perfect for bolting on a carb if your engine is carburated, or anything else your setup might require. The center section of this turbo is independant of the hot and cold side. This means that you can loosen the bolts and rotate any part to be exactly where you need it! This is essential for custom turbo projects. This turbo is brand new, never used, in perfect condition! The turbo includes the wastegate and actuator

rustyATV
04-20-2008, 08:47 PM
YEARS ago, I was researching turbos for this same project. Wasn't the smallest IHI (I want to say the 21? Cant remember) used on the Chevy Sprint?

I never made it out to bone yards to peak under hoods, unfortunately.

rustyATV
04-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Interesting find while searching.

http://www.dirtrider.com/news/141_0408_2004_bonneville_street_bike_record_on_a_d irt_bike/index.html

rustyATV
04-20-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm quitting now, because it's bed time but I keep finding interesting stuff!

http://www.aerocharger.com

http://www.aerocharger.com/atv.htm

Nice and clean when you don't have to worry about cooling and lube!

pro-rider46
04-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by rustyATV
YEARS ago, I was researching turbos for this same project. Wasn't the smallest IHI (I want to say the 21? Cant remember) used on the Chevy Sprint?

I never made it out to bone yards to peak under hoods, unfortunately.

i think your thinking of the IHI RHB3 used on the 3 cylinder chevy sprint

rustyATV
04-21-2008, 08:55 PM
That's probably it, though I think there was a 21 running around out there, somewhere.

The aerodyne has variable vanes, so if I had the money, I'd go for that.

ryanh250ex
04-27-2008, 03:33 PM
I have a Borgwarner/KKK turbocharger that would be very suitable for a turbocharged ATV build. I have it for a project but ran out of money to pursue it. It would spool up VERY quick on a 650 and be an absolute torque monster.

the FPR you want to run is a Mallory 4430 I believe. they go for about 40 dollars on ebay regularly. you want to run a low pressure fuel pump. run a pitot tube from the bowl vent into the intake tube, do a little carb tuning, and boom! you have cheap and easy blow-through carburetion.

Please PM me if you are interested.

TURBO-530R
06-13-2008, 05:08 AM
few pics of mine

Clay200X
06-14-2008, 11:17 PM
would you be able to git these for a ATC200X??1985????

dsbomb89
06-15-2008, 12:11 AM
i wouldnt imagine so. if you want one find an appropriate turbo and do it yourself. is achievable

ps aftermarket kits are hideously expensive. provided you can tune it you can sacrifice a bit of hp and save thousabds by doing it yourself

Clay200X
06-15-2008, 06:10 PM
thanks i'll see if i can find one for cheap...or i can build one
i have allready made the plans to and how to hopefully set it up better than a real turbo

trial and error

dsbomb89
02-17-2010, 02:10 AM
well, its done now. however long ago it was i started this thread haha. on going issues as you would expect, but its proving to be reliable and still enjoyable as an all round bike. runs a blow through pitot tube set up, with a sizeable box to reduce the pulsing on the carb. little electric fuel pump and rising rate fuel regulator. huge increase in torque, up a gear on dunes. not revving out properly though, suspect the turbo is too small and creating back pressure for the motor. will be trying a slightly bigger/differently configured one shortly.