PDA

View Full Version : What did they do?

fsteunf
04-07-2008, 06:33 PM
I took my 06 450er in to my local dealer to get the starter gear recall. When I dropped it off it would not run. I stalled and flooded it and never got it to crank back up. I left it with them to just do the recall and I would fix the rest. Well 2 weeks later they call me and tell me that my top end was gone and it needed to be rebuilt. Dry compression was 60 psi and wet was 150psi. Well my thought is since I flooded I washed the cylinder with fuel so compression will be down. It should start with 150psi but the mechanic said it would not. When I picked it up he told me how I needed to put a top end on my bike. Well being that it has less then 10 hrs and has been well taken care of I found that hard to beleive. He tried to start it with me there but it would not run, so I kinda glanced over it then pushed it on my trailer pulled it in gear so it would stay while I strapped it down. When I got home I noticed oil on my trailer and looked under my engine to see my skid plate looking like a oil drain pan. I looked closer to see where he cleaned the case he scratched the hell out of my frame in 2 spots. I also noticed that he left the fuel line was off so no wonder it would not start after the wet test. So I got pissed and by then they were closed. I went to unload it and pulled the clutch to roll it off the trailer and it would not roll. I try to put it in neutral and it feels like the shifter has tension but doesn't mesh with the gears. So by now I am so pissed that I'm shaking. I took it back today and the mechanic denied scratching the powder coat off the frame and said the he did nothing wrong. After arguing a while they agreed to fix my frame and said that if the problem has to do with what they did then they would fix it. Anybody have any ideas on what the hell went wrong?

One_Bad_400
04-08-2008, 07:21 PM
i dont really know much about these things but i know 2nd and 3rd gear go out all the time in these bikes and when mine went out it did that... just my opinion... probably not right though?!?!:ermm:

d3ktrix
04-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Its normal for these bikes not to roll while in gear with the clutch pulled in when they are cold. Once the bikes warmed up it will move freely.
It probably would of popped into neutral if u rolled the bike forward/backwards a little bit when pulling up on the shifter.

Also tell ur mechanic to bust out a service manual, the cranking PSI on an 06 450ER is supposed to be 50-56PSI according to the manual. The lil electric starter motor isn't going to turn over 100+ PSI like the kicker models.
Your top end is prolly perfect.

http://shared.sploitz.com/06_450r_cylinder_specs.jpg

blacknblue#2
04-09-2008, 02:37 AM
As for the oil i would check your tanny drain plug. When i took my 07 back for the recall it was still real new and still had break in tranny oil in it. I went to pick it up and he told me i had stripped the tranny drain bolt out last time i changed my tranny oil and it was barely holdin but would due for now. I laughed in his face and said ol boy you just told on yourself cause i hadnt even changed the tranny oil yet..........Needless to say he argued to make sure i knew he was a certified honda mechanic. I told him a few choice words and went on my way. But ppl like him with his greedy hand and a swelled head is why my stuff never goes back except for a recall.

fsteunf
04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
well I called today and they told me a peice was missing. HUh! I can't remember what it was but it was with the shifter and clutch. When I asked where it was he said he didn't know(go figure). I told him it must have fallen out when they removed the cover because that was the only time it had come off. He didn't have anything to say. I just hope it is right when I get it back. I don't want it to act up when I go to the track. Let's hope they do better the second time around.