PDA

View Full Version : what is bump steer?

sportraxrider10
11-24-2002, 02:40 PM
????

Mity Mo
11-24-2002, 03:34 PM
Its the difference you get when your suspension compresses or fully extended in degrees. Your tires are straight up and down when you are on level ground. Then when you pick your front end up or smash it down your wheels pitch in or toe out from Bump steer. Mo

433rd
11-24-2002, 06:48 PM
As "Mo" said and it will also change your camber angle as well through out the travel of the suspension.

For the most part, bump steer is not a good thing. When riding or jumping in rough terrain, your front end really starts to do some things that make the rider have to "fight" the machine. In a perfect world, you would hope for a very stable front end geometry (little or no bump steer) throughout the suspension travel. Unfortunately, even though it is one of, if not the best handling "factory" quads available, the 400EX in the stock configuration, has quite a bit of bump steer.

Fortunately, there is ways to overcome some of it's "bad" habits and make a great thing even better! :cool:

Juggalo
11-24-2002, 10:09 PM
ok forgive me for sounding kinda dumb here but i'm confused about one thing about toe in and toe out. i know its either one of 2 things but i don't really know how to describe it. i'll try tho. is toe in/out like if you were looking at the bike from the very front straight on and you saw the tires like / \ would that be toe out? and if you saw it like this \ / that would be toe in?

or

is toe in/out like this. if you were looking at the bike like overhead and you saw the front tires like this \ / like facing outwards ya know. is that toe out? and the opposite toe out? i'm pretty sure its the first way but i wanna make sure cuz i'm confused. sorry if none of that made sense by the way.

Fender Bender
11-24-2002, 11:39 PM
from looking at the top of the quad, this / \ is toe in, this \ / is toe out and from looking at the front of the quad / \ that is negative camber, and \ / that is posive camber:cool:

QuadJunkies
11-25-2002, 01:24 AM
:confused: :huh :confused: :huh

Juggalo
11-25-2002, 04:32 PM
ok thanks for the help...i'd glad thats what it was too cuz thats what i told my friends when they asked me what bumpsteer was