PDA

View Full Version : kids safety gear (re: neck brace)

mcwilly
04-07-2008, 08:36 AM
My 5 year old has all the safety gear. MX boots, chest protector, MX pants, gloves and goggles. My wife is wanting to get him a neck brace as well. I've never worn one and have no experience/knowledge of them whatsoever. That's where you guys come in. Have any of you ever used one? Any of your kids wear one? Pros? Cons? How does it fit when wearing a chest protector?

03sp500
04-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Do yourself and child a favor look at

leatt brace

We have one, works great and my son doesnt even know its there.

God'sGirl.MQ.20
04-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Our daughter races and she uses the Leatt brace. She has been using it for a year now. She loves it. We just had to work the fit kinks when she first got it. It doesn't get in her way and she doesn't even know it's there. She used to wear it with a Fly youth chest protector. Worked fine. But now she is a MSR sponsored rider. We went up a size and trimmed a little plastic off the arms. The key is to put the chest protector on first then slip in the back, then front and buckle up. Not much trouble for the protection factor. It has helped with the soreness in her neck and neck fatigue. We highly recommend it!!

quadnana7
04-07-2008, 10:25 AM
We agree 100% Leatt Brace all the way also we just got the Rockgardn Chest Protector and Helmet they work great together.
The Leatt may be a little costly but you can't put a value on your childs life. We feel we will use whatever it takes to help God keep them safe. Check with Bulldog Fallon at DRR Nation or Marc at Hot Quads.

jjd223
04-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I bought a Leatt Brace for each of my boys and after a little fitting , they are ready to go. GodsGirl explained quite well how to integrate it with the chest protector and quadnana hit the nail on the head with safety being priority.

mxdad
04-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I agree 100% that safety is very important!!!

My son never rides without his Leatt Brace and his Rockgardn jr flak jacket.

riding4fun
04-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Leatt brace here also. My 11 year old daughter and 7 year old son both wear it and have never complained about it.

My 7 year old has had 2 bad wrecks and not once has he complained his neck hurt. 100% Leatt.

We also use the rockgardn

mcwilly
04-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Sounds like Leatt is the way to go. I'm assuming you guys are all using the moto-gpx. (which I've seen listed at $395) Looks like they're coming out w/ a new model (moto-gpx adventure) for $195. (per their homepage) I wonder what the differences will be.

God'sGirl.MQ.20
04-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, It's the $395.00 version.

jread14
04-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by mcwilly
Sounds like Leatt is the way to go. I'm assuming you guys are all using the moto-gpx. (which I've seen listed at $395) Looks like they're coming out w/ a new model (moto-gpx adventure) for $195. (per their homepage) I wonder what the differences will be.

Yep, that's the version we use, and Gods Girl hit the nail on the head on this thing! It has been the best money I have spent as it pertains to any racing gear/parts. I just dont understand why some feel they need to spend a ton of money on a motor to make their kids go faster, but cant seem to fork over the cash to make them safer.... :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

ROBBSRACING
04-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Both of my boys also wear the Rock Gardn Flak jackets and the Leatt brace. As others have said, there is NO PRICE on OUR kids safety !

DoubleDad
04-07-2008, 06:54 PM
My two sons wear the Leatt also. Here is a new alternative from EVS, not quite on the market yet but a less expensive choice.
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/assets/html/homepage.asp?mscssid=1BBFBAC57245412D869D4B9C41101 B57&Gift=false&GiftID=

God'sGirl.MQ.20
04-08-2008, 09:28 AM
My only advice is to research which neck guard you go with. I don't know the name of the mag off the top of my head but last month they had an article about the Leatt. This thing has been around for years. If I recall the article correctly it was designed by a DR who saw his friend break his neck. It's been in Europe for years. I know there are always new and better designs but this one has a proven track record. I think the magazine was QUAD. I'll double check tonight and report back tomorrow.

quadnana7
04-08-2008, 01:13 PM
AMEN to that
I want the best protection I can get for Christian and I know the Leatt has been proven the best. The others may look like it but may not be as good I don't know about them but I can tell you the Leatt is great

mcwilly
06-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Just purchased a Leatt brace today. Thanks for the info, guys!

jread14
06-10-2008, 03:38 PM
That's awesome... How is he liking that Honda? Are you and the boys going to make it out to any other races this year? JR

hotquads1
06-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by mcwilly

the difference is adjustability , they are same design but the less expensive model does not have as many adjustments. My son wears the brace is loves it , we keep them in stock and offer free shipping on all safety gear to encourage parents to buy the best.
marc

Andyman17dad
06-11-2008, 05:46 AM
Has anyone tried the EVS one yet? Or is it even out yet?
I just think it looks a little more comfortable than the Leatt, and would like to have him try both on.

mcwilly
06-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by jread14
That's awesome... How is he liking that Honda? Are you and the boys going to make it out to any other races this year? JR

Liking it? He's LOVING it! :D We went to Red River last weekend and rode all day Saturday and Sunday. The quads are still on the trailer b/c I was too beat to unload everything when we got home. :D
Yeah, I'd love to make it out to some races. You gonna be out at the Badlands again anytime soon? Let me know where (and when) ya'll are gonna be and we'll try to make it out.

jread14
06-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Check out TQRA.com and you can see the schedule... North Forty has great facilities and they are going to have a carnival on Saturday after practice. This would be a great track for him to come out and practice on. Let me know. JR