PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Tire size affecting speed???

MAKO19
04-07-2008, 08:36 AM
What does everybody seem to be running as far as tire size in the rear? The guy I bought my bike off of put some sort of sand/mud tires on it and they are 22's. I think he did this to give himself more clearance in the rear since the bike didn't have a swing arm skid plate and the rotor was a little beat up. I'm guessing he probably hit something and damaged the skid plate so he took it off. I am going to get a skid plate for it and wanted to go back down to the factory size tires because the quad is probably losing some bottom end due to the larger tire diameter. Can anyone verify this? A few of my buddies came over and rode my quad and told me it was very slow. They both ride a 400 LTZ and a Banshee. I rode both of their quads and mine doesn't seem like it's that much slower. I think the stock size tires will make it a lot stronger coming out of the hole. Any thoughts?

mitchamus
04-07-2008, 09:11 AM
smaller rear tire more bottom end less top end, bigger rear tires less bottom more top. i would go back to 20's and try to find the lightest tire to get rid of some unsprung weight.

big400boy
04-07-2008, 08:27 PM
if you bought it used try checking the tooth count on the sprockets. if it has more teeth than stock in the front than it will have less bottom end and more top and if it has less in the back then it will have less bottom and more top as well. and vise versa.

randallp1
04-07-2008, 09:47 PM
i run maxxis 4snow tires and they are 22s. i have the best holeshot out of my buddies and it keeps on pulling. 450s 660s and 700s cant touch me out the hole.

red_rider_069
04-07-2008, 10:12 PM
i'd go back to 20s