PDA

View Full Version : Suspesion Settings for stumpy trails

cnl83
04-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Hello all, I am a suspension noob! The place where I ride has a really rough terrain. There are roots everywhere! So needless to say we take a beating out there.

Should I be going for a softer, stiffer, or mid suspension setting?

I have a 400ex (416). With 2+ extended A-Arms and Axle. The shocks are stock, which I plan to replace one day. I noticed after jumping a while, the bike feels like it bottoms out sometimes. Im 185 lbs. Id like to hear what some of you have to say about that.

04-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Well what are you doing the rough trails or jumping? There is no way to fix the shaking and roughness when hitting roots. All you can do is hold the bars straight. Get a steering stabilizer. That will take away the shaking. And I cant tell ya about how to set your suspension up because you said you ride rough trails and then you said it feels like it bottoms out after jumping. For the front with +2 a-arms you will ALWAYS bottom out and theres no fix because the added leverage to stock shocks makes them really soft. As for the rear thats workable. Give us more info and what your doing. Is there any whoops?

cnl83
04-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Last week I road 45 miles through some rough trails, getting around obstacles, and when I get to the jumps...I jump them lol. Little bit of everything

I realize there isnt a total resolution to eliminating the rough ride. I was really hoping to see what most people set their suspension for rough terrain.

BlaineKaiser450
04-07-2008, 10:25 AM
im gonna say steering stabilizer and revalve your stock shocks

Scro
04-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Hit the roots faster. When you skim across the top of them, they feel much smoother.

cnl83
04-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Hit the roots faster. When you skim across the top of them, they feel much smoother.

Thats what I was doing. Its not really a problem. I am just trying to tweak my machine. I think im going to go with the stabelizer.

Thanks!