PDA

View Full Version : DS450 Problems I'm having

maconu
04-07-2008, 01:21 AM
When I run my ds450 hard (race) and it dies it sometimes won't start. that is to say It acts like I have no power. After letting it sit for awhile it will fire up like nothing happened. When I was at my local can-am dealer they mentioned that there is a recall on the ds450 for something to do with the starter coil (I'll post specifics after talking further with dealer). I'm hoping this will resolve ther problem I'm having.

I'm also having problems with false neutrals. Last weekend I had a race. I started in second gear. I hit a false neutral 2nd to 3rd gear. I let off the gas and it engaged.

Neither of these problems were this prevalent when I first purchased the bike but they have increasinly become a problem. I will post what my can-am dealer says tomorrow night.

Any constructive thoughts (ie not "you shouldn't have bought the bike")

hasta!!!

ds450
04-07-2008, 08:19 AM
I have a ds450 and work at a can-am dealer and I didnt have any of these problems and havent heard of the recall. I run the crap out of mine every weekend and I have over 40 hrs on mine and no problems. I did bent my axle but that was just from me over jumping something.

atvlover
04-07-2008, 12:50 PM
is your bike completely dying or is it just running at a lower RPM? Like maybe it is running rough. The DS has a "Limp Home Mode". If the bike overheats it will limit the RPM and allow you to get back to the pits. In other words it won't let you grenade the bike. I don't know if this is the problem you are having but it sounds like it might be.

atvlover
04-07-2008, 12:51 PM
By the way, This is Johnny with Motoworks. Thanks for running our stuff.

spanky101
04-07-2008, 03:24 PM
to me it sounds like a bigger radiator might be in need for these bikes, to try to cool them down some.

atvlover
04-07-2008, 04:57 PM
We are running the stock radiator on our factory bikes. We have tested several aftermarket radiators. The stock ones work fine.
You have to be very careful if you are putting on exhausts or airfilters. If you lean the bike out it will overheat.

spanky101
04-07-2008, 07:57 PM
ahh, i didnt see that he had some parts on the bike... I think a power commander or some other type of EFI Management system will really be benefitial to these bikes. Being able to put some more fuel and hopefully get rid of that lean issue. Is the motoworks factory team running air ducts to get more air in the radiator, if not i forget what team it is. Who makes those, are they one-offs or are they in plan for mass production? Thanks

atvlover
04-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Yeah we have some custom shrouds on our bike. However I doubt the average rider will need them. Josh rides the bike pretty hard. However, if you do need them Can Am sells them from the race department. I believe you can order them through your dealer. We run the Motoworks FMI to manage the fuel. Obviously I think it works great.

maconu
04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
The bike isn't overheating and shutting down. I came into a turn and hit the back brake before I pulled the clutch completely in. This is what killed the engine. Once dead it has no electrical. Once the bike cools down it starts fine. I'm pretty sure it isn't the engine heat that is the problem.

I talked with my can am dealer (Desert Dog Offroad in Fountain Hills AZ) and he also mentioned that some of the first production bikes had clutch plates that were bad. The dealers are supposed to change these out before the sale. It wouldn't suprise me if Ride Now didn't do this. I also purchased my bike very early.

To get my bike in gear from false nuetral I just have to let off the gas and then it kicks in so clutch plate problem sounds like the thing.

I'm dropping my bike off to the dealer tomorrow. I'll post what happens.

Johnny,
Can you turn my FMI around quickly (one of the 75 :)

matthew craig

atvlover
04-08-2008, 10:00 AM
We have the FMI's in stock. If you order it it will be shipped right away. You may be right on the clutch plates. On the early bikes we started testing the playtes had to be changed. I do not know which serial numbers. ours were very early ones. The bikes come with the correct plates now. I'm sure the dealer will get it right. Have a great ride.

atvlover
04-08-2008, 10:00 AM
We have the FMI's in stock. If you order it it will be shipped right away. You may be right on the clutch plates. On the early bikes we started testing the playtes had to be changed. I do not know which serial numbers. ours were very early ones. The bikes come with the correct plates now. I'm sure the dealer will get it right. Have a great ride.

jaredw
04-08-2008, 02:46 PM
another thing with clutch plates, every time I take off my clutch squaks at me. dealers are saying it's supposed to do this? I think not.

atvlover
04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
The clutch does do that. We can make it go away if we tilt our bikes before riding them. However, the clutch noise does not hinder performance.

maconu
04-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Got my bike back from the dealer the other day. The recall was for "unsoldered ignition coils that may become loose with vibrations and cause ignition miss". This is serial number specific and I got a pretty ealy DS.

The reason my ds stranded me was becaue I have a normaly open kill switch that we were running through a relay to make it act as a normally closed switch and the relay was going bad. I could push the relay block one way and the bike would act like my tether was out then I would push the relay the other way and it would be fine. I have since purchased a Pingel Normally Closed Kill Switch which hasn't given me any problems and was Really easy to install.

As for the false nuetrals (2 > 3rd, 3rd > 4th, 4th > 5th). These occur when I am agressively shifting sometimes. Can-Am is aware of the problem and they have a part they are coming out with to fix this. The spring that sits against the shift pawls can slide sideways; causing less pressure on the shift pawl. The new shift pawl has a slot for the spring to ride in so I can't turn sideways. The part number will be (or is) 420 257 821.

So thats the scoop..... I love the bike. Now if I could get a rear axle I'd be set. It appears Epic isn't making there rear axle anymore and the only other manufacturer is RPM which you have to by hubs, rotor, and sprocket with because it won't fit the DS parts.

hasta

ThePhantomRider
04-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Do you want a stock axle or an aftermarket because you can get a stock axle from Epic they removed and never used when they built one of the race bikes.

http://shop.epicracingproducts.com/Takeoff_2008_DS_450_Drive_Axle_p/brp-705500643.htm

maconu
04-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Looking for a race axle. I have Epic long travel a-arms and no axle. Trying to get to 50". The price diff between epics non-existent race axle and the RPM is ~$600........ OUCH!!!!!

You know anyone other then RPM who has a race axle for ds450??

Thanks for the reply TPR...

mhill157
04-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Lonestar has them on their website
http://www.lsracing.com/can-am-ds450.htm