PDA

View Full Version : best suspension mods

bearair
04-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I have a 2007 250ex for the wife and need to set it up for her. I've done a search and have found a couple suggestions, but no info on what people have done to make the suspension work. What I'm wanting to know is, what is the best bang for the buck for aftermarket shocks and is it worth it to put longer a-arms on?

My wife is maybe 120 lbs. with gear and wants a softer ride for trail riding and chasing me around. The Honda dealer told us that the stock shocks are set up for around a 170-180 lb rider. I can believe that, as I'm 230 and I can ride it pretty quick without feeling like I'm beating on it. When I watch my wife ride it, she's using maybe 1/4 of the suspension travel in the bumps. I'm really trying to make this thing work better for her.

Anyone out there have a light wife or girlfriend that they've set up a 250EX for? I'm thinking Works shocks, but don't want to spend $500+ on a rear one. I'm up for a pair of AT Steelers on the fronts. Do they make a cheaper rear shock for play riding? Maybe a steering damper, maybe widen the front end. Not really worried about money, just my wife not wanting to spend "too much" on fixing the suspension. Trying to get her to quantify "too much" is like nailing jello to the wall though.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from people with similar issues.

ryanh250ex
04-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Welcome to the 250 forum.

Sorry to break the bad news, but expect to shell out some serious change to set up your wife's front suspension. A-arms are 400-500 bucks minimum, and you'll need aftermarket (and properly valved) shocks to run them.

The rear suspension is cheaper to modify. Both 300ex and 2001 Raptor rear shocks work well, based on the reports of others.

Look at the FAQ, and then search from there.

Hope this helps.

-Ryan

04-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Might I suggest the Diamond J Customs widening kit and put 400ex shocks on it. That will be an upgrade thats rather cheap. Works shocks would be good on the front and rear but like you said you dont want to dump all that money into it. I'm "iffy" about the raptor rear shock. Raptor is at least another 100lbs heavier than the 250ex and it has a longer swing arm for leverage and a linkage system. Bolting a Raptor shock on would probally be stiff. I would try the 300ex rear. Its in a closer range to weight and swingarm length.

bearair
04-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Works is probably the way we're going to go. 400EX shocks would be WAY too heavy sprung for her as like I said, she's about 120 lbs with all her gear on. I've got a set of 400ex shocks I just took off of my 400 as they sucked on it. I've been planning on aftermarket shocks, just didn't know which way to go on them.

What I was mainly looking for is someone that has had to fix a 250 up for someone my wife's size. We aren't afraid of spending money, but the only A-arms I can find are the Herrman racing and ASR sets. The ASR's use heim joint ball joints which I'm not a big fan of, and the Hermann racing ones are just about $800. We have the money, but she won't want to spend it on that.

What's the least expensive and decent aftermarket rear shock?

tedwilley
04-07-2008, 03:32 PM
My 2 cents. If she will just be riding trails (not mx), then the least expense way to go:
Get some decent 20" rear tires and billet axle spacers, it'll lose its 'tippy' feeling.
The DiamondJ kit on the front with 400ex shocks. I spent about $325 for the whole setup including shocks. This with the wider rear will make it handle like a bigger quad. The different shock angle will soften the normally stiff 400ex shocks alot.
My son's right at 100lbs. The front is great but the rear still limits his speed over whoops and jumps due to his weight.

I bought a 2001 Raptor rear (the ONLY year that will fit), but haven't put it on because it is way too stiff a spring for his weight and once you drill out the mounting holes, you've gone down a one way street so to speak.

You could get the Raptor rear and call TCS and see if they have a spring suggestion (about $50 plus shipping) to soften the Raptor rear shock's ride. You might still need to get it re-valved and serviced (between $100-150). So the Ebay Raptor shock, about $75, plus the spring $65, plus re-valve and service $150; you'd spend about $285, plus or minus. It would probably be such an improvement your wife would be ecstatic.

OR, for a one time guaranteed solution, spend the money and get a Works or Elka rear valved for her weight.

Here's how ours turned out, with the stock rear shock:
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z86/NotSoYoungAnymore/HPIM0206.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z86/NotSoYoungAnymore/HPIM0207.jpg

m.h.s.c.#527
04-07-2008, 03:38 PM
elkas

BR16250
04-07-2008, 05:06 PM
im surprised that the widening kit holds up on the jums,,, how is it? i race mx so im probably not going to get it but if it wont break maybe i will.

tedwilley
04-07-2008, 05:51 PM
I personally like it for trails and recreational track riding. My kid is getting interested in racing, for that I wouldn't recommend it. He's old enough now (and a much better rider) so I will likely get him something bigger.

bearair
04-07-2008, 06:49 PM
That's the kind of input I'm talking about! That looks like it could work, I'm just not sure about using the 2007 400EX shocks as they are stiff to begin with, and the valving is lousy for rebound. I'm wondering if I can pick up a used set of Works shocks for the 400 on ebay valved and sprung a little lighter and then put them on with the Diamond J widening kit and shock relocation kit? That would be a pretty decent fix I would think. We'll be purchasing stuff shortly here so I need to make a decision. Thanks for the input!

BR16250
04-07-2008, 07:14 PM
i still dont believe the diamond jay widening kit is worth the money, its hard to believe that they are reliable but its your money. what do u need all this widening on ur wifes quad anyway? just wondering lol

bearair
04-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by BR16250
i still dont believe the diamond jay widening kit is worth the money, its hard to believe that they are reliable but its your money. what do u need all this widening on ur wifes quad anyway? just wondering lol

Just trying to make it more stable than it currently is. I may leave it stock width and just do the shocks. That and changing the rear tires to something that isn't nearly so tall and balloon like.

tedwilley
04-07-2008, 09:08 PM
The tires are a definite first upgrade.
As far as using used after market shocks with the widening kit, any 400ex should fit. The length to look for is 16-1/4 eye to eye. If you go that route get at least compression adjustable shocks.
I have some Ohlins off my Cannondale I might try on ours.
I agree there's a limit on how much is worth spending on a 250ex, but for under $600 you can make it much more stable and a heck of a lot more comfortable to ride.
If you like the way they ride stock, just don't ever ride anything with an after market suspension or you'll never want to ride it again.

prairiemonster
04-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Shocks and a smooth ride on a 250 ex is hard to come by without spending big bucks.Change springs and revalve them to the riders weight is the only way to go,stock or aftermarket.
There is another way and it does work so don't laugh when I say this,we do it alot in drags,sled pulls and when we put the 65lb of no fear racer on the 280ex.
ADD WEIGHT!
The 250 is made for a 175lb rider and it's a fine line to work with
anything more are less is going to be very noticeable.What you need is to add about 50-60lbs of weight to the quad to be in the shocks working range.We use 25lbs bags of lead shot,you can use whatever you have, put 25 on the front and 25 on the back and take it for a ride and see if gets better are not.If it does, add more weight if you think it needs it,and where the weight is placed is a big factor.
It's a cheap way to go, all it takes is some weight and some playing around to see if it helps or not.If this is the way you might want to go let me know and I'll tell you how to add this weight without it ever being seen.For the 25lbs on the rear just add a 12 pack and a cooler of ice,and when your done with that at least you will think it's a better ride.:D :D

bearair
04-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Spoke with a couple suspension places Monday, and their recommendations for a novice rider is to put good shocks on it and put a flatter profile set of rear tires on it. They said the same thing which is that the change will be immediately noticeable and the ride will be hugely improved. Works is the recommended choice to keep cost down. AT steelers with no reservoirs in front and a Quadstar rear as there is no AT Steeler application for the 250EX rear. That's about $1K list, but some places will discount. I'm still checking to see if there's a better deal out there for front and rear matched sets.

I'm probably going to go with whoever gives me the best deal on revalving my 400EX rear and 450R fronts. That way the suspension all comes from the same place. Just got my +2 a-arms for the 400EX yesterday.

bearair
04-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Ended up going with C & D for the Works shocks for my wife's bike. Their customer service skills were the best of the three big revalving names. Derisi is a nice guy, but won't return calls and I've only been able to talk to him the one time. GT Thunder also looks good, but they don't sell any aftermarket stuff and I want everything to come from one place so it can be serviced. I'm going to send off my 450R fronts and 400EX rear to be revalved and re-sprung as soon as I can secure a spare rear shock to ride on.

BR16250
04-10-2008, 07:26 PM
how much did you end up spending no the 250ex works?

bearair
04-10-2008, 08:59 PM
The only one offered for the rear is the Quadstar which is a remote reservoir, preload adjustable shock. The list is over $659 and they gave it to me for $590. The fronts are AT steelers with dual rate springs. They list for $419 and they gave them to me for $390. That's $980 for the set versus $1078 list. Not too bad. Could have done a little better on ebay, but not much and this way I get support from C & D as well as supporting a site sponsor. I'm going to have them do a complete set up on my 450R fronts and stock rear for the 400ex also.

Unfortunately there is no cheap solution for the rear shock. Elkas were about $460 for the fronts and $650 for the rear. We had to custom order the Works shocks as the lightest weight sprung and valved shocks Colby could find was for a 150lb. rider. Should take 2-3 weeks from Works for the custom order. I'm also going to get a set of 20 X 10 X 9 flat profile tires for the rear as well. Something like the stock Ohtsu's on the 400ex. I'm thinking ITP's or a copycat.