View Full Version : where should i start??

DementeD
04-06-2008, 07:31 PM
well recently i purchased a 400ex and i think im gettin a fever...
basically the run down is:
2000 400ex
white bros e2 slip on
itp rims/tires
dg nerf bars
ac bumper
k&n
jetted

so what should i do..not really sure where i want to go with her but im looking for some stuff to do not holy **** expensive but decent stuff.
i dont think suspension will be on the list since im not about to drop 500-1000 on it right now.

just curious what you guys would do next other then suspension or a rebuild

i definitely want new plastics but not right now..since my luck is id wreck it as soon as i got em..
however i do want new nets? do they sell them separately?
other then that through out opinions..i also plan to have the rear axel bearings(if thats what they are called) replaced and the valves adjusted since its over due for that..and the oil etc is up to date as well...

heres a pic of her..sry for quality its a camera phone :D

RaginRedneck
04-06-2008, 07:41 PM
1) Ride it!!! Congrats on your new toy, go enjoy it!

2) Skid Plate, I'm a big believer in full length Skid Plates.

3) If you don't want to do a rebuild your could always do some engine improvements such as a cam, or upgrade the Carb, but that can get spendy too.

4) Start doing nicety additions if you want, differnt handle bars, levers, etc.

By the way, they do sell the nets seperate and you can get different colors as well. Plastic is always nice, but it sounds like you've entertained that option. I would definetly have the valves adjusted if its overdue. Other than that, ride the piss out of it until you get more comfortable about spending money on plastic or you decide what you want to do next.

Good luck!

DementeD
04-06-2008, 07:48 PM
definitely riding the piss out of it..with all this rain today in florida i went muddin with my friend and his samurai jeep it was loads of fun

i definitetly plan to do the important stuff first and very soon..
handle bars i forgot are aftermarket as well..i forget the brand off the top..

and yes im very happy with the purchase..paid 1700 for it without any real issues..i mean like i said the valves need adjusting and i believe theres a small oil leak on the top of the head..

when i got the bike it was very nasty up there..i took it all apart(meaning the plastics/gas tank/airbox etc off to clean very good and i noticed after riding for a while there was wet oil up there again..i also continously check the oil to make sure it doesnt run low
but i plan to have my mechanic check it out when i have him adjust the valves and install the rear bearings..

but after that i need upgrades..and im not sure where i want to start..i was debating on sprockets to make it a little faster however i dont want to loose any bottom end

one thing i can question is...rev box's...they worth the money etc?..they arent to expensive but not sure if the box is worth it or not

the motor is pretty much stock like mentioned other then the pipe/filter/jets

oh and will a cam on a stock motor be worth it??

klutch
04-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Where in Florida do you live? I live down in Miami jc if you are close or not?

DementeD
04-06-2008, 07:53 PM
im in tampa

klutch
04-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Oh dang was hoping to have some one further down south need more riding buddies lol all my friends seem to be leaving the sport... I know i wont lol

DementeD
04-06-2008, 08:03 PM
im just gettin back to it..
ive been riding dirt bikes since i was 6 and stopped when i was 15 and got into honda cars now..im back to this and a truck.. :D

RaginRedneck
04-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I've got a Moose CDI and I like it. My quad seems to start better cold with it, I'm not sure if its the box or the larger Pilot I put in it, but I'm happy. I paid $130, I think, for mine and it came with a jet kit that I needed as well so it was well worth it.

hondaking52
04-06-2008, 09:23 PM
if ur not gona put a high comp piston in for awile i'd get a sparks timing adavance key, i got it and i love it!!! you just cant run it with a high comp piston

tri5ron
04-06-2008, 09:23 PM
skidplates, A-arm guards, hand guards,
All can be found on ebay for rather cheap.