PDA

View Full Version : Works shocks

BamBam730
04-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Are works shocks considered one of the better brands of shocks?
Are they much better than OEM shocks?

trx400EXtreme
04-06-2008, 07:23 PM
they are definately better than OEM shocks, but are not one of the best brands out there. basicly, if your on a budget, they're OK.

XXXRACER165
04-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Mine made a HUGE difference. Better ride quality, less bouncy, softer ride, and bottom less often. I might be selling mine soon, there too soft for me. So stay tuned........

BamBam730
04-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I am mostly a recreational rider. I just want to make sure I am not buying knock off's

BamBam730
04-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
Mine made a HUGE difference. Better ride quality, less bouncy, softer ride, and bottom less often. I might be selling mine soon, there too soft for me. So stay tuned........

Sorry, I already bought triple rate a-t steelers w/o res for $391 from atv galaxy. Just want to make sure that they are not knock off's and I am upgrading.
Here is a picture of what I have bought, any comments would be appreciated. PS-They are being set up for my wieght and riding style.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii243/bambam730/atv_pair_atsteeler_trs.jpg

dpizz450
04-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by BamBam730
I am mostly a recreational rider. I just want to make sure I am not buying knock off's

works are by far not knock offs. they make some great shocks. i have a pair on the front of my kfx. huge difference. there no elkas but they are great shocks. and a big improvement from stock.

XXXRACER165
04-06-2008, 07:31 PM

There not knock off's, I raced B class with them.

BamBam730
04-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Does different color springs on works shocks represent different set ups?
*rider wieght
*mx
*xc
Etc.

XXXRACER165
04-06-2008, 07:38 PM
no

BamBam730
04-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Thank you

XXXRACER165
04-06-2008, 07:44 PM
no problem

BamBam730
04-06-2008, 07:55 PM
XXXRACER165
Do you have a better picture of your machine with the works shocks. I looked at the links in your signature but the pictures are from the side of the machine. If you have them can you post them.

04-06-2008, 08:07 PM
I used to think Works shocks were so good cause when i rode my brothers quad it felt great. Well after months of slowly tuning in my rear suspension, its almost as good feeling as the Works remote rezzie preload adjustable rear my brother has. So if I can tune in my stock shock to almost near the Works which is $550 or so... I am thinking imagine how nice a stock revalve/respring will ride if thats tuned in? For the front the Works would be a good upgrade. I thought about the remote rezzie AT steelers at 1 time until I realized I can get a better setup for less. I just bought 450r front shocks. I didnt get them yet so i'm curious to see how stiff they really are or if they are like what people say. I did it as 1 step closer to finishing off my quad. I am going the OEM 450r fronts OEM 400ex rear all revalved and resprung eventually. I dont have the money yet so i'm hoping these 450r fronts are a much better ride adjusted and such. If I didnt know about OEM revalve and resprung, I would have deffinately bought Works shocks. They ride great compared to stock and for the rec rider you cant beat them for the price if you were to buy other aftermarket.

BamBam730
04-06-2008, 08:12 PM
The reasons I did not not buy 450 ex shocks and have them rebuilt was,
*Typically sell for around $200 used
*Rebuild was a minimum of $250-300, and I beleive that I am low balling this number.
Combined this is more expensive than new shocks.
*The need to either grind the top of the shock or notch the shock mount to make them fit did not make me feel to good about using them. I like things to fit correctly without these types of modifications.
So I figured for $391 I can have brand new tripple rate shocks without the rezzies. I researched the rezzie factor and figured out that since I only ride recreational that I do not need rezzies. If I rode competitivly I might have bought shocks with rezzies.

04-06-2008, 08:52 PM
The reasons I did not not buy 450 ex shocks and have them rebuilt was,
*Typically sell for around $200 used
*Rebuild was a minimum of $250-300, and I beleive that I am low balling this number.
Combined this is more expensive than new shocks.
*The need to either grind the top of the shock or notch the shock mount to make them fit did not make me feel to good about using them. I like things to fit correctly without these types of modifications.
So I figured for $391 I can have brand new tripple rate shocks without the rezzies. I researched the rezzie factor and figured out that since I only ride recreational that I do not need rezzies. If I rode competitivly I might have bought shocks with rezzies.

Not trying to be a smart a** but here is my thought. True on THIS site and eBay they sell for around $200 way overpriced. But what you get in return after the revalve is better than Elka's lower end shocks and you have all the adjustments. The shock does not need to be ground down... you can knock off the bolt ad either get a carriage bolt or weld the plastic bracket to the frame.

2muchquad
04-06-2008, 10:29 PM
From MY experience works feel great when they are new.But i have seen them start to leak(oil seal)with not much time on them.Not to mention the shock bushings wear out in fast order.I have a set of pro series sitting now from the preload adjustment ring seizing to the shock body.Its hard to beat any of the newer shocks from the 4 fiddys if your just recreational riding imo.If you ever see a set of works on ebay or used from anybody,plan on getting them rebuilt,all the oil is probably gone:D

BamBam730
04-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
From MY experience works feel great when they are new.But i have seen them start to leak(oil seal)with not much time on them.Not to mention the shock bushings wear out in fast order.I have a set of pro series sitting now from the preload adjustment ring seizing to the shock body.Its hard to beat any of the newer shocks from the 4 fiddys if your just recreational riding imo.If you ever see a set of works on ebay or used from anybody,plan on getting them rebuilt,all the oil is probably gone:D

While I do appreciate all the insight and information you provided, it is to late, I have already bought them (works shocks). Hopefully I will not have any of the problems you listed. If there is anything else that I shold know to properly maintain these shocks, please let me know.

BamBam730
04-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by YZrida
works are by far not knock offs. they make some great shocks. i have a pair on the front of my kfx. huge difference. there no elkas but they are great shocks. and a big improvement from stock.

YZrida, can you post a picture of your quad with the works shocks.

TRXRacer1
04-07-2008, 04:17 PM
I have the same shocks you just bought and have been beating them for 2 years. I run them up front and the stock rear at 50% sag with a little softer compression then rebound. The works are way better feeling then stock 450r shocks and like you said you'll have more money into the 450r shocks to get them to ride as plush as the works. When they start to leak......... I'll rebuild them.

BamBam730
04-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Can you post a picture of your quad with the works shocks.

BamBam730
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Recieved the works shocks today and they seem to be of much better quality than stock shocks