PDA

View Full Version : 300EX will not start!!!

mikeman828
11-06-2001, 03:41 AM
This is a kinda new issue for me,I've never had any sort of problems with my Honda starting before so any help is GREATLY appreciated!!! Here's the deal:

I was riding my 300EX Sunday, and stopped to help my son for a minute, when I tried to start it up again....nothing!! Not even a sound!! I pop-started it and rode it back to my van to bring it home, shut it off. Tried again for ha-ha's ... all I could hear was what something coming from the starter relay right near the battery. Could the relay be bad?? Could something futher down the electrical path (starter maybe?) be causing the relay to work extra hard ??? What's my best way to test the relay???

Anyone have any thoughts???

:confused: Thnx

11-06-2001, 07:27 AM
You battery could be dead. try recharging it with a battery charger for a little bit see if it helps.

mikeman828
11-06-2001, 08:12 AM
I don't think it's the battery because after it wouldn't start I turned my light on and tried again to see if there was a drain on it. It never even dimmed.... Thanks for the suggestion:confused:

barbwire44
11-06-2001, 08:17 AM
Try running a jumper wire on the relay if it starts its the relay, if it doesn't could be the brushes in the starter, just seems odd you never had any trouble then suddenly wont start maybe trace youre wiring also check for a break and always loosen the terminals on the battery and the starter and clean and retighten just to save headaches, could be something simple like that.

Lil90man!!
11-06-2001, 01:33 PM
try checking the fuse underneath ur seat??? mi friend had a brand new 300 and he said when it blew a fuse it would make some sort of noise(he didn't say where or what) but he said he changed the fuse and it fired right up!

mikeman828
11-07-2001, 04:28 AM
I took the starter relay out and bench tested it with a 12v power supply, it seemed to work fine. When I re-installed it, I couldn't even get my headlight to turn on!!! I checked the battery, I checked the fuses, checked the keyswitch, cleaned up the handlebar kill switch....still nothing!! I measured 12V from battery ground to the red wire of the keyswitch so I know it's getting power. Most confusing thing is why the damn headlight won't even light now!!!! Anybody got any suggestions????
Any safety switches that would do this if gone bad???

Thnx

:confused:

The400exExorcist
11-07-2001, 02:01 PM
The same thing happened to me...it turns put it was my regulator revolter was bad and my battery wasnt even charging....maybe you should check that