PDA

View Full Version : what is the best quad for me. on the trails

yamaha563
04-06-2008, 05:22 PM
i have a 97 blaster and i am about to get somthing that is bigger....my choices are a banshee or a raptor 660. i was wondering if somone could help me what would be best for trail riding. tight corners huge hills stuff like that... the 01 banshee i am looking at is pretty much stock. it has after market carbs, but thats it. and if i got it i would get it piped and jetted.. what would be the best quad for me. keeping in mind all iwould do to either is get them piped n jetted.....

TheNewn
04-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Why are you limiting yourself to those 2 quads? Neither are that awsome for trail riding, if i had to choose between the two, i'd say Raptor 660...

But you should seriously consider some other quads as well.

Dinner
04-06-2008, 10:58 PM
If those are your choices, I would go for the 660 for tight trails. Banshee's aren't known for their bottom end pull, especially in tight trails. Stock suspension will take a beating on you as well if the trails are rough.

660's are pretty good for torque, so it would be good for the trails. They are also not bad for hills too, wont fall off their rev's. I would say if you were doing more hills than trails, then take the shee. But if you do a lot of trail riding I would say the 660.

Oh, and you say this Banshee has aftermarket carbs but nothing else done to it? Do you know the size of those carbs?

yamaha563
04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Dinner
If those are your choices, I would go for the 660 for tight trails. Banshee's aren't known for their bottom end pull, especially in tight trails. Stock suspension will take a beating on you as well if the trails are rough.

660's are pretty good for torque, so it would be good for the trails. They are also not bad for hills too, wont fall off their rev's. I would say if you were doing more hills than trails, then take the shee. But if you do a lot of trail riding I would say the 660.

Oh, and you say this Banshee has aftermarket carbs but nothing else done to it? Do you know the size of those carbs? what can you do to gain some low end ????

TheNewn
04-07-2008, 06:17 PM
WHY are you limiting yourself to those 2 quads?

yamaha563
04-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
WHY are you limiting yourself to those 2 quads? welll i really only wannaspend 2000...and i can get a01 shee for 18 maybe even 15 soo thats why..... if i could find a 660 for 2 i would get it.. i did find a 450 for 2000 but by the time i called on it it was gone....

KB Motorsports
04-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Depending on what type of trail riding you do , and how you ride its really hard to say. I'd go with the Banshee just for the thrill factor . Throw in about 2500.00 into shocks , a-arms, and you;ll have yourself a top of the line atv.

Dinner
04-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by yamaha563
what can you do to gain some low end ????

If you want a good low-end motor. Usually guys will advance their timing, bump up compression, 2:1 Pipe and Carb. And then the normal mods like filter and reeds help as well. You could also get a good mx/trail port which will help out too.

Dinner
04-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by KB Motorsports
Depending on what type of trail riding you do , and how you ride its really hard to say. I'd go with the Banshee just for the thrill factor . Throw in about 2500.00 into shocks , a-arms, and you;ll have yourself a top of the line atv.

That is true as well. Upgrading the suspension on a Banshee makes a heck of a difference. And it wouldn't even cost you $2500 to upgrade the suspension if you look around.

yamaha563
04-08-2008, 08:30 PM
If you want a good low-end motor. Usually guys will advance their timing, bump up compression, 2:1 Pipe and Carb. And then the normal mods like filter and reeds help as well. You could also get a good mx/trail port which will help out too. thanks alot....i will keep that in mind... how much would it be for some gtood reeds and filter??? im tryin to start out with stuff that isnt that much....

yamaha563
04-08-2008, 09:05 PM
If you want a good low-end motor. Usually guys will advance their timing, bump up compression, 2:1 Pipe and Carb. And then the normal mods like filter and reeds help as well. You could also get a good mx/trail port which will help out too. thanks alot....i will keep that in mind... how much would it be for some gtood reeds and filter??? im tryin to start out with stuff that isnt that much....

Mx_Banshee23
04-09-2008, 05:58 AM
definatly go with v force reeds they make a big difference, boyseen not so much they are about 200, filter like 40 and for pipes toomey are the kings but fmf are good too and not as loud. i have toomey t -5's with k&n filter and v force reeds and it was so fast and some more low end, but now im re doing everything and goin all out but my old set up was awsome, i also had +2 all around axle and a arms and it was only about 5 or 600 used and i have tsc shocks i got for 400. and if your buying new tires id suggest holeshot HD's i got traction everywhere but when you wanna break the back end loose you can =) definatly go with the shee my bud has a raptor i hate it, its a dog and its very top heavy so id never buy one. plus all the problems he has with it and its only a 2002. hope this helps. thanks

Dinner
04-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Mx_Banshee23
definatly go with v force reeds they make a big difference, boyseen not so much they are about 200, filter like 40 and for pipes toomey are the kings but fmf are good too and not as loud. i have toomey t -5's with k&n filter and v force reeds and it was so fast and some more low end, but now im re doing everything and goin all out but my old set up was awsome, i also had +2 all around axle and a arms and it was only about 5 or 600 used and i have tsc shocks i got for 400. and if your buying new tires id suggest holeshot HD's i got traction everywhere but when you wanna break the back end loose you can =) definatly go with the shee my bud has a raptor i hate it, its a dog and its very top heavy so id never buy one. plus all the problems he has with it and its only a 2002. hope this helps. thanks

There are different pipes out there that will come on more down low than the T5's, and make a better trail bike. I wouldn't suggest Holeshot HD's though, they wear quicker than other tires, though the tread pattern and traction is the same.

Even if you don't want to spend the money on a set of V-Force Reeds, you could get away with some Boyesen Reeds and just port your stock reed cages.