PDA

View Full Version : Helmet/Quad Cams?? Anybody got them?

RaginRedneck
04-06-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm looking into buying a Helmet Cam, but I'm not sure if its worth the money. I would like some video of me riding/racing, but usually there is no one that wants to stand around and watch me ride, we are all just riding!

Does anybody have either a Helmet Cam or a cam mounted on their quad? If so, what do you think about them?

Thanks.

Honda_Matt
04-06-2008, 05:53 PM
I have a samsung digital camcorder, it's pretty small, about the size of a wallet.

It takes a memory card, and has a helmet cam along with some other stuff.

Comes with a helmet band and arm band to mount the helmet cam to, while a 4 ft. cord or so goes under your shirt, or whatever to your pocket or belt clip for the camcorder itself.

Has a protective pouch it sits in and whatnot, pretty cool...

But, I really dont use it as much as I thought I would.

TRXRacer1
04-06-2008, 06:45 PM
If you're looking to do any kind of editing with the video for TV viewing you'll want as much quality as possible. A miniDV camcorder with AV analog input connected to a helmet cam with 560 lines of resolution is your best bet.

There are a few good cameras out there and you do get what you pay for. We use the Land, Sea & Air "Xtreme Kit" from helmetcamera.com with a Cannon Elura 90. I have a friend that tried a few different brands and a few different Camcorders and he ended up with the same helmet cam but with a Sony Camcorder. Some Sony cams have a LANC input that allows a remote switch to be hooked up for turning the cam on and off.

The hardest thing in getting top notch video quality is finding a miniDV camera with the analog inputs. Most if not all new cameras do not have them anymore. I found mine in MINT condition on craigslist. I was very lucky. There are readily available cams that use memory card but most use compression and quality is lost when you start working with the video. If you just want to do internet clips then they work very well.

Honda_Matt
04-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, the samsung really doesnt have that great of quality, but it does many things

Mp3 player, digital camera, voice recorder etc...