PDA

View Full Version : how do my shaved fenders look?

glamiskid395
04-06-2008, 03:28 PM
i need opinions on my fenders that i just cut.
they are my old ones, that are cracked and one of the holes is unusuable.
the crack i tried melting back together then drilled 4 holes for 2 zip ties to help hold it together.

do i need to cut some off the bottom part or should i leave it as is?

glamiskid395
04-06-2008, 03:29 PM
another view

glamiskid395
04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
the fixed crack

TRXRacer1
04-06-2008, 04:07 PM
They look wavy as hell. Take a big flat file and spend some time straitening out the cuts. They will look a lot better.

petzllampo
04-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by glamiskid395

do i need to cut some off the bottom part or should i leave it as is?

many folk cut their plastics for various reasons, cosmetic, to see the wheel lay etc etc if yours is cosmetic then its entirely down to "if you feel they look smart/cool"

my reason for cutting fenders on the front was due to a small nasty hill that wanted to flip me over everytime i tried to conquer it, mainly down to the rockery the otherside that i kept losing my bottle as my front wheels kept getting stuck or jammed in the rocks but after carefully cutting the front fenders and seeing where the wheels were heading i got over 1st attempt. I will take some pics of mine and post them soon.

looking at your first image they do seem a little like a Ritz buscuit (not quite finished and unrounded) but if thats what your trying to acheive then i spose they are bang on. this is not a criticism as i made sure as hell that i cut my old fenders and experimented first of but liked what i had done and didnt bother replacing with new fenders

glamiskid395
04-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
They look wavy as hell. Take a big flat file and spend some time straitening out the cuts. They will look a lot better.

yeah i noticed that after i cut them, i had to use a small hand saw because my dremal kept ruining the cutting reals within 2 inches, and i dont own a saws-all (sp?)

i will take a file to it now that you say it, i just couldnt think of a way to clean it up without tryin to use my dremel.

i would not have done this if these werent my spare fenders that were about to be thrown away, so my thought was if i dont like them, ill throw them away, no loss.

TRXRacer1
04-06-2008, 04:29 PM
yeah i noticed that after i cut them, i had to use a small hand saw because my dremal kept ruining the cutting reals within 2 inches, and i dont own a saws-all (sp?)

i will take a file to it now that you say it, i just couldnt think of a way to clean it up without tryin to use my dremel.

i would not have done this if these werent my spare fenders that were about to be thrown away, so my thought was if i dont like them, ill throw them away, no loss. I like them, I hate full front fenders on my machines. I just remember the first time I cut fenders and what I did to straiten them out. I cut mine with a sawzall so there was a little touching up to do..... ;)

NacsMXer
04-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah they do look a little wavy/uneven but it's workable. I cut my fronts with an electric jigsaw....helps keep a straighter cut. I smoothed out the uneven spots with an electric sander followed by a propane torch.

Here's what I think would look better than what you got, but that's just me :D

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/742/shavedav1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3787/shaved2cz3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

glamiskid395
04-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Yeah they do look a little wavy/uneven but it's workable. I cut my fronts with an electric jigsaw....helps keep a straighter cut. I smoothed out the uneven spots with an electric sander followed by a propane torch.

Here's what I think would look better than what you got, but that's just me :D

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/742/shavedav1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3787/shaved2cz3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

i like the front, but i probably will cut the backside/bottom like you showed in that pic.

i just went out to clean them up with a file and that was super easy.
my camera phone does not take the best of pics, but they look better in person. IMO.

damn my points towards the middle of the fender look off, oh well no one will see that unless they look close.

Brauap
04-06-2008, 05:09 PM
looks 1,000 times better! IMO

UNBROKEN
04-06-2008, 05:23 PM
looks better but how do they perform all short like that when ure riding in mud and water , do u get alot mudder when riding?

glamiskid395
04-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
looks better but how do they perform all short like that when ure riding in mud and water , do u get alot mudder when riding?

i have no clue, im a duner only, this bike has NEVER seen mud or water (except when washing).
it might see mud/water this summer?

REDRIDDER
04-06-2008, 05:32 PM
heres an ideal cut for you,they are slightly off but you dont even notice it .

BigBore24
04-06-2008, 05:35 PM
i wondered about the mud when i cut mine but it really isnt that bad. i did some really muddy riding last weekend and the mud from the front tires was no worse than normal. and a lot easier to clean when you dont have 10 lbs of mud caked to the extra fenders. looks good and kinda similar :p

Gatekeeper
04-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Been thinkin bout cutting mine, I really like the look and being able to see the front in the rocks, but been wondering about the splash factor in mud/wet conditions. Do ya get a lot more in the face/goggles or just your legs?
Wouldn't mind legs but I hate not being able to see.
Thanks

NacsMXer
04-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
Been thinkin bout cutting mine, I really like the look and being able to see the front in the rocks, but been wondering about the splash factor in mud/wet conditions. Do ya get a lot more in the face/goggles or just your legs?
Wouldn't mind legs but I hate not being able to see.
Thanks

You only get splashed in the face when you turn your front wheels...the side with the tire that's facing toward you will sling up on you some since it's aiming right at you. Otherwise while going straight, the front tires throw everything straight back towards the rear fenders.

BigBore24
04-06-2008, 08:19 PM
it really is worth it. i debated for a while since my fenders were still in good shape. but once i did i wish id of done it a lot sooner. it makes such a difference when you can see your front tires and i like the looks too, much sportier i think.

glamiskid395
04-06-2008, 08:54 PM
ah damn, i hope i dont get sandblasted

its bad enough when someone gets you, but getting yourself...thats embarresing

04-06-2008, 08:56 PM

lol I dont cut my fenders because I will be getting pelted by everything rocks, mud, sand, water, sticks, and chunks of clay. Look at the XC racers... full fenders and I ride trails so I keep the full fenders. For MX or something I say why not.

NacsMXer
04-06-2008, 09:27 PM

I think you'll be ok, it's really not that bad. I primarily ride MX, and the only time I get hit is when I turn my wheels going through a wet/muddy spot on the track. It's not like i'm getting hit with every piece of dirt/rocks every time I turn the wheels....it's mostly just the wet stuff that splashes/slings up on you. In fact the only time i've ever gotten hit by anything from the front tires was when it was wet. The only thing that pelts me with dirt and rocks is the guy roosting in front of me haha.

Since you ride sand you should be just fine. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

glamiskid395
04-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
lol I dont cut my fenders because I will be getting pelted by everything rocks, mud, sand, water, sticks, and chunks of clay. Look at the XC racers... full fenders and I ride trails so I keep the full fenders. For MX or something I say why not.

thats why i have semi-new fenders that i took off and put these ones back on after i cut them, when i go trail riding i can have full fenders.

i also took the new ones off so they will still be shiny for my senior pictures later on.

nacs- im not really afraid of the sand gettin me, only on the soft bowls where the tires sink in, thats when i usually roost myself. (i dont get stuck though)
a pic of my work. lol :blah:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/glamiskid395/glamis/Mikeroost.jpg

red_rider_069
04-06-2008, 10:57 PM
i dont like shaved fenders :ermm:

b4wheeler
04-06-2008, 11:17 PM
My quad came with cut fenders and I could not wait to get rid of them and get new fenders. They did not splash that much mud and water, I just dont like the look.
I have a set of cut fenders if anyone localis interested in them.....:D

glamiskid395
04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
i like both, dont prefer one over the other.
my dad hates the look but since its an old pair, he didnt mind.

BamBam730
04-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Looks great, if thats the look you want.

trx400EXtreme
04-08-2008, 02:59 PM
def. cut off the bottem part, and file 'em down.:macho