PDA

View Full Version : how do i

m.h.s.c.#527
04-06-2008, 12:18 PM
disconnect this top a arm im sendin them to pappy for black metal flake pc

mod440ex
04-06-2008, 01:41 PM
i think they are press fit so you will probably have to beat it out.

ZSK
04-06-2008, 08:17 PM
The balljoint and spindle are both tapered. When the nut is tightened the balljoint is pulled down into the taper. Hold the upper Arm and strike the side of the spindle where the taper is. If you do have to hit the balljoint besure to do it with a nut on the balljoint so the threads will clean out.

NacsMXer
04-06-2008, 08:30 PM
This is by far the easiest way to go about it. Make a simple press tool out of some cheap sockets and a couple washers.

Flip the castle nut over and thread it onto the ball joint stud. Put a washer in between the castle nut and a socket/couple of sockets. Start backing off the castle nut and it will push against the sockets....thus "pressing" the ball joint stud out of the spindle. Easy as cake :D

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/9389/dsc00144ap2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

450rcrazy022692
04-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
This is by far the easiest way to go about it. Make a simple press tool out of some cheap sockets and a couple washers.

Flip the castle nut over and thread it onto the ball joint stud. Put a washer in between the castle nut and a socket/couple of sockets. Start backing off the castle nut and it will push against the sockets....thus "pressing" the ball joint stud out of the spindle. Easy as cake :D

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/9389/dsc00144ap2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sounds like a really good idea....but i dont get some of what your explaining.

NacsMXer
04-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by 450rcrazy022692
Sounds like a really good idea....but i dont get some of what your explaining.

It does work very well but what don't you understand? I thought the picture was pretty self-explanatory?

Turn the castle nut upside-down and thread it back on to the ball joint stud. You place some type of spacer underneath the flipped castle nut (in this case a pair of sockets). The washers are there to protect the spindle surface and give the nut something to bite down on.

When you loosen the castle nut, it moves downward on the threads of the ball joint stud....pressing down against the sockets. The nut is physically attached to the ball joint stud so the more you loosen the nut, the more it presses against the sockets....thus applying upward pressure against the ball joint stud. Keep backing off the nut into the sockets until the ball joint stud pops right out of the spindle, it's quite simple.

I used two sockets to achieve the extra height needed between the two ends of the spindle when removing only ONE remaining ball joint stud.

When you are just beginning, and have both ball joint studs still in the spindle you flip BOTH castle nuts over, stick a single socket (with a washer on each side) between the flipped nuts. Start loosening the nuts towards eachother until one ball joint stud pops out of the spindle.

After you get one out, you follow the above directions (like in the pic) to get the remaining ball joint stud out of the spindle.

Sorry I don't know how much better I can explain it. It's a lot simpler to do than to put in words lol :p

redsurdaddy
04-06-2008, 10:08 PM
why couldn't you use a pickle fork?

NacsMXer
04-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by redsurdaddy
why couldn't you use a pickle fork?

You can (I did this back in the day when I didn't know any better). But it tends to rip the ball joint boots, even if you grease up the fork. The method I have described above is the best/easiest way I have come across and causes no damage.

It's better than ripping ball joint boots, tapping on the spindle (leaves marks and doesn't always work the best), or hitting the stud itself with a punch/hammer (possibly damaging the threads, i've seen it happen). I've tried all of these methods in the past and it's been nothing but a huge pain and takes forever. The socket trick is quick and easy.

redsurdaddy
04-06-2008, 10:48 PM
i see, i've never done it before, it just looks from the picture like something that a pickle fork would work for.

Knoxy
04-07-2008, 10:49 AM
another good thing to do is use a heat gun on the arm or hole before hand to warm the metal... causing a little bit of expansion when your reinstalling it.. makes for a quick fix and an easy job.!