PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problems ?

Honda_Matt
04-06-2008, 11:09 AM
My buddy was riding his 440ex yesterday, he shut it down on the trail for a minute, and when he got back on, he turned the key, had no indicator lights, the bike wouldnt even turn over, it's pretty much like it had no battery connected.

So after wiggling connections, and looking around for broken wires etc.. We found nothing.

We hooked it up to my 450, and were going to pull it home, but he dropped it in gear and it fired up (pull started it)

Now, the lights were on, but flickering and not constant

We rode it home, nearby and he shut it off, and same problem

The battery is pretty shot on this thing, it needs a charge every couple times you start it and he knows, but hasnt gotten around to replacing it yet.

Could it just be the battery is bad? I think if that was the case the lights would still come on and at least try to turn over.

Im thinking it's a broken connection somewhere cuz we were jumping in some trails, and then he shut it off...

Another guy says he had a similar problem and he thinks it was his Reg/rectifier.. Doesnt sound right to me.

Any idea's?

REPOMAN
04-06-2008, 11:36 AM
it could be the regulator. but check your ground wires and the fuse. if that doesnt fix it you guys might have to check each and every wire one by one until you can posibbly find the problem

Honda_Matt
04-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Where is the fuse located?

Ill check the ground and the other wires and see if anything looks outa place.

glamiskid395
04-06-2008, 05:00 PM
before you start checking the wires extensivly, change the battery, if that doesnt fix it then go after the wires and then the regulator/rectifier.
the fuse is in the battery area, its in 'case' type thing, and it can be hard to open at times. there should be a spare fuse in it, if not its a 15 amp (blue) fuse.

2muchquad
04-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Make sure the bolts on the solenoid that runs to the battery and starter are tight as well.

Honda_Matt
04-07-2008, 06:39 AM
He said he took the hood off, and started moving wires around looking for something and then the problem went away.

Don't know how long it will last but the problem is under there...

Something must have jostled loose.

the Z Man
04-07-2008, 06:50 AM
replace the ground cable, mine broke inside the housing, looked good, replaced it and worked fine.
I took one off an old riding lawn mower...lol

BigBore24
04-07-2008, 09:13 AM
i know you said its under the hood but someone on here the other day said they lost ground connection where the subframe mounts on. if you find nothing else its something to look at. good luck

REPOMAN
04-07-2008, 03:15 PM
i had that problem under the hood once also and it turned out to be a wire going to my key switch was grounding out. most of the time blowing my fuse.

400exrida06
04-07-2008, 03:50 PM
wow thats weird the exact samethings happening with mine i just made a thread similar to this earlier but im gunna try some of these suggestions and see if it changes anything for me, since my batterys pretty new.

Honda_Matt
04-08-2008, 10:38 AM
I think it might have been the key like suggested before, he relocated the key and indicator lights to his hood, so that very well could have been the problem.