PDA

View Full Version : Hot rods out of spec?

TheBlasterMan
04-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Heres the deal:

I have a 2005 450r.

I am rebuilding the bottom end.

I installed hot rods bearings into my cases .

I then went to install my hot rods stroker + 3 crank and it literally slid in!

(slid into the ball bearing, the one on the flywheel side)

From my understanding you have to pull the crank into the bearing, mine slid it with very little drag.

Ive asked others and they have said this has happened to theirs and it was fine, while others say they had to pull theirs in.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks, Brandon

jshtex
04-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I have always had to pull the crank in. It doesn't sound right to me. To be safe why don't you call the bearing manufacture and see what they say. It would be an expensive lesson to trash the bottom end over it. Now you still have it apart and swaping the bearings is still easy.

hendershot106
04-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by TheBlasterMan
Heres the deal:

I have a 2005 450r.

I am rebuilding the bottom end.

I installed hot rods bearings into my cases .

I then went to install my hot rods stroker + 3 crank and it literally slid in!

(slid into the ball bearing, the one on the flywheel side)

From my understanding you have to pull the crank into the bearing, mine slid it with very little drag.

Ive asked others and they have said this has happened to theirs and it was fine, while others say they had to pull theirs in.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks, Brandon

hot RODS PRODUCTS ARE JUNK.... NEVER USE THEM.

TheBlasterMan
04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
any experience with that statement? Ive heard lots of success from their products.

hendershot106
04-07-2008, 12:17 PM
yes experience with that statement..... hot rods does NOT stand behind there products.... go ahead and call their horrible customer service and find out.... if you have a problem they blame it on other things and dont even offer u a discount on replacement items..... they simply say if we think of anything we will call you. i had my engine apart 5-6 times trying to figure out why the damn thing kept leaking side to side..... finally put a new honda oem crank in.... guess what???? exactly. it was the hot rods crank all along.

TheBlasterMan
04-07-2008, 01:03 PM
was this on an 06 or 05? did your crank go in easy or hard into the ball bearing?

chad502ex
04-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
yes experience with that statement..... hot rods does NOT stand behind there products.... go ahead and call their horrible customer service and find out.... if you have a problem they blame it on other things and dont even offer u a discount on replacement items..... they simply say if we think of anything we will call you. i had my engine apart 5-6 times trying to figure out why the damn thing kept leaking side to side..... finally put a new honda oem crank in.... guess what???? exactly. it was the hot rods crank all along.

leaking side to side? huh? what was the problem with your HR setup?

TheBlasterMan
04-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Just sent in the measurements for the Hot Rods Crank and Bearings to Hotrods.

They were as fallows:

Crank OD= 1.2774

Bearing ID= 1.2772

Hotrods Replied:

Brandon, ok it sounds like you have the correct parts now. I would suggest that you just apply some locktite to that crank and/or
inner bearing race. It sounds like you just happened to get two pieces that are at the opposite aspect of the tolerance for the
blue print.

What do you think? What kind of locktite?