PDA

View Full Version : huge problem. Im confused

tom416ex
04-06-2008, 10:11 AM
okay here we go..... Took the rear end apart on my 400ex to replace the carrier bearings.... Replaced them because the rear end would move and shift if i played with it.. New bearings went in, put everything back together. The axle no longer moves or piviots, but now the sprocket in the rear is whobbiling, and it makes the rear rotor do the same but not as bad! The axle isnt bent, the axle doesnt seem to move like the sprocket and rear rotor does...... Could this be the sprocket is so beat that it needs to be replaced?? Im thinking yes! It prob did it before, but didnt see it b/c the bearings were gone and axle moved along with bent sprocket. I rode it on sunday down the road real quick and didnt feel any jumping or a bumpy ride! Help me guys, what do you all think???!??!?!?!

tom416ex
04-06-2008, 10:13 AM
still having the same problem. put new sprocket on the rear and it is still doing it. the only thing i can think of is thatwhen we put the axle back in it didnt go in straight. It still wobbles pretty good. I just dont understand. Thought it was the sprocket,but now that i look at it better, it looks like the whole rear is doing it. Like i said, thinking the axle isnt back in totally straight???? Theres no way the axle is bent because i havent ridden it since the new bearings went in. It wouldnt be because all the grease hasnt moved around and spread out evenly right? I need some advice here guys. Im all pissed off, just want to ride it but i cant, dont wanna ruin anything else. Let me know what you guys think... Any advice would be great.
thanks

04-06-2008, 11:41 AM
if you rode it with bad bearings for awhile, your bearing carrier may be bad, and/or your run out may be below tolerances...

the run-out is where the bearings sit on the axle. if it is worn too much, the bearings will not sit on the axle like they are supposed to and there will be slop between the axle and the bearings...

tom416ex
04-06-2008, 05:50 PM
if i have it off the ground and put it into 1st and let the gear ride with the tires spinning, its almost like something is getting hung up somewhere, it spins, then hits a point where it kinda hesitates on spinning, but then gets past that point and keeps spinning again. Like i said, it seems like something is getting hung up, weither the axles carrier isnt set back in the correct way, or the axle isnt totally in 100%. I just dont know..