PDA

View Full Version : Motor Problems

05specialeditio
04-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Motor problems!!!!!!!!! OK so I want to know who besides us is having motor problems! A month after we bought our first KTM we lost a bottom end! Dealer called it a fluke. At Glen Helen we lost a top end! Dealer says we sucked a bunch of dirt!! Last night something let go in the motor in the air on a huge table top, could have really hurt my son. So I want to know if I am the only one having problems!!!!!!!!!

carlock14
04-06-2008, 10:23 AM
I have had mine since September and had no motor problems and i have not heard of any. I race xc with 7 other KTM's and no problems. Hoprfully your dealer will figure it out. Good Luck

quad97
04-06-2008, 04:10 PM
What mods do you have on it? Maintenance schedule? Do you let the machine warm up properly before riding it, or has it ever been overheated?

realbadlarry
04-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Basically same motor as the bike from 02 on, haven't heard of issues with this motor at all. Is he riding it like a 2 stoke? These motors have been rock solid for a long time.

05specialeditio
04-08-2008, 07:29 AM
I know that is what everybody keeps saying! But here is our luck,3 weeks in we lose a bottom end and dealer calls it a fluke. Warranties it w/o issue. Go to Glen Helen and lose a top end, dealer says we filled it full of dirt??????WTF is that about!! Last weekend at Speedworld we picked up Quad on Friday night late in New Mexico,after a complete rebuild including a new cylinder, quad runs great first moto, Kody takes first in Expert race 1, Expert race 2 the motor lets go in the air on a huge table top, somehow avoid a horrible crash landng.Here we are again for the third time w/o a motorin our practice quad! So I hear everyone saying how tough and proven and bullet proof they are,but that is just not the luck we are having!

ktmbill
04-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Is this the same motor braking and what broke yhis time ?
Give me a call 616-813-7838 Bill

05specialeditio
04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah Bill, It is the same motor but different problems. First bottom end at 3 weeks. Rod welded to crank solid. At Glen Helen the top end was hammered. New cylinder,(not warrantied, piston and valves. Motor lasted about 30 minutes. Just died in midair, and hasn't done anything since. I think I am done with the dealer, not happy with the way he seems to feel about these problems. We have a long way to go till the end of the season. #3races and 3 motors!! Luckily this weekend at the Quadcross we will be running our other quad. I could use a good KTM mechanic if you are interested. When even the stock motor runs, we kick those built Hondas butts.

05specialeditio
05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey Bill, I have been a little slow posting lately, was trying to get a quad ready for round 3 of ITP Quadcross. I took the motor to our mechanic instead of the dealer that had fixed it the last time. Guess what!! The cam gear bolts were never tightened and the gear fell off. Hammered piston and valves again, was able to save brand new cylinder. I spent alot of time with KTM customer service!!!! The dealer agreed to stand behind their work, but I will never take anything back there again. I do have to say that I was a little dissappointed in KTM customer service, they offered me nothing except to take it back to the same dealer who caused the problem in the first place! If you had $20,000 in KTM quads and had one that had been broke more than it hadn't, would you not think a manufacturer would care! We and our KTM quads are getting a reputation for poor dependability, not necessarily KTM's fault but none the less still a problem! Also it was $1200.00 to fix it last time that they said was not warrantied!! I will just suck up the repair and move on. We are doing really good on the KTM, but they have not come into the era of any race support yet!! Even Kawasaki has a contingency program!

05-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Over the net I read a lot about how the engines break down. I would say about 80% of the engine posts I read are about the engines breaking down. Top and bottom ends.

vAnS_77
05-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by bajaracer21
Over the net I read a lot about how the engines break down. I would say about 80% of the engine posts I read are about the engines breaking down. Top and bottom ends.

Lay off ktm they have it all going good. First quad that they have made there should be problems just like any other when it comes out for the first time. Ktm will recognize this problem, just give them time. Sometimes when quads are brand new dealers like to play with them before they sell them. Just the way when you buy a new quad you get all excited. They are no different, messing with them, the engines mostly. Seeing whats good to do what will improve it.