View Full Version : Cross country essentials

norton
04-05-2008, 10:30 PM
What dimension tires should a 450r run for cross country racing?
suspension travel and type a-arms? Just got her, think im gonna name her Tereesa. haha right now i hate the stock tires they look huge and goofy

klutch
04-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Razr 2 Front tires 22x7x10 and Razr rears 20x11x9

norton
04-05-2008, 10:50 PM
thats it? nothing else? how about suspension travel or does stock suffice?

klutch
04-05-2008, 10:53 PM
I am not quite sure for suspension I've seen the Revalves are fiarly popular amongst most XCers.

klutch
04-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Do you plan on racing? If you do i can give a much better list of what mods you should buy to keep you safe, and the essentials of what most xcers would have on the atv.

norton
04-05-2008, 11:01 PM
yeah im gonna get into the ohio held races and indiana

klutch
04-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Ok. then i good mods would be. (These are the main things i would consider)

-Killswitch
-Stock Revalves/Aftermarket Suspension
-Tires
-Handlebars
-Exhaust
-Air Filter
-Front Bumper
-Hand guards
-Beadlock Rims
-Aftermarket Pegs/Heel Guards
-Nerf Bars (Some people don't like them for GNCC but i find them to protect me more)
-Rear shock revalve/with XC Linkage
-

Can't think of anything else...

Also for riding gear...

-Helmet
-Goggles
-Boots
-Gloves
-Chest Protector
-Kidney Belt
-Jersey
-Pants

Just a few things right off the top of the head.

klutch
04-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Oh and full skid plates! i forgot those! those are pretty important lol

04-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Reading this everything seemed to be mentioned on what you need. depending on how serious you are you can leave a few items out such as the XC link and/or beadlock wheels.

schulte_85
04-06-2008, 01:16 PM
camel back

Tires: GNCC's are great. The RAZR2 fronts are great. Razr rears are great

Suspension: GT Thunder Revalves and Linkage.

Stronger Tie Rods.

Skids

Steering Stablizer

04-06-2008, 02:02 PM
I am thinking of getting some of those houser +3/4 wide +0 forward long travel maximum ground clearance slicast XC a-arms with some quad rate elka's, I know most pro's use a-arms. Or lonestar has some +1/2 wide +3/4 forward normal travel maximum clearance a-arms.

No one has mentioned an aftermarket gas tank either wich is odd. Oh, and tireballs, gotta have tireballs.

klutch
04-06-2008, 04:56 PM
The Houser Max Clearence LT A-arms would be a great choice. With some good front lt shocks. I normally end up overlooking the tank... my 450 is mostly set up for mx racing... but without a modded high performance crazily built pro engine i think the stock tank should do ok... lol don't quote me on that though lol

IOWAracer
04-06-2008, 05:03 PM
IMS tank is always a plus but not a necessity however what is would be a
GT Thunder or C&D rebuild front shocks its personal preference Laz is sponsoring me and gave me a hell of adeal so my shocks went to him...

Skids
Kenda Tires :devil: Sponor lol
PRM bumpers and skids are AWSOME
HMF for that low end grunt
Fasst Co bars are becoming more and more popular paired with a set of handguards with wraps like POWERMADD

Good nerfs helps you slide thru trees that are a little tight i wont race without nerfbars!

Kill switch
good seat is always nice im gonna be ordering a new quadtech seat soon

if ive left anything out someone else will hit on it!

BB

Dave400ex
04-06-2008, 09:17 PM
I would look into buying ARS-FX XC arms with their new EXIT X2 shocks. I had Houser/Elka Elite Quadrates and the ARS-FX is much better and retails for less. Also I can send you to a guy that can get you a little better deal for ARS-FX.

Razr 2 Fronts 21-7-10
Razr rears 20-11-9
On Hipers if possible
Precision Stabilizer
PRM Full Skid - has best mounting system I have seen
HMF for exhaust

beak7707
04-06-2008, 10:38 PM
first thing you need to do is get your endurance up. If you are just starting out you need very little. You just need your quad bullet proof. Good tires, skids, hand guards, and steering stabilizer. Sure all that other stuff is cool to have and it all does help, but its tons of money. Racing is 95% rider 5% quad, you could put most people on a full out race quad and a pro on a stock 300ex and the pro will win. All those other add on goodies are for the slightest edge. When you are riding to the full ability of the stock parts then go aftermarket. I dont know your riding ability, but I'm guessing if you are just starting out racing you wont need $2,300 in suspension. Yes it is great but ride time, being in shape and a quad that will finish is the key to be good at racing.

04-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by beak7707
first thing you need to do is get your endurance up. If you are just starting out you need very little. You just need your quad bullet proof. Good tires, skids, hand guards, and steering stabilizer. Sure all that other stuff is cool to have and it all does help, but its tons of money. Racing is 95% rider 5% quad, you could put most people on a full out race quad and a pro on a stock 300ex and the pro will win. All those other add on goodies are for the slightest edge. When you are riding to the full ability of the stock parts then go aftermarket. I dont know your riding ability, but I'm guessing if you are just starting out racing you wont need $2,300 in suspension. Yes it is great but ride time, being in shape and a quad that will finish is the key to be good at racing.

I MOSTLY agree with what you are saying here. although, all the goodies make for a better handling quad, which in turn allows for less fatigue.

norton
04-07-2008, 09:22 PM
tell me about rock pro series nerf bars

norton
04-07-2008, 09:29 PM
and cant you put on white bros xcr slip on to a 07 450r, it says bikes but the crf450r is the same engine right?