PDA

View Full Version : Help

Ponm
11-24-2002, 10:23 AM
Hello,
I just bought a new 03 400ex and I took it out to ride yesterday for the first time. I rode it for a hour and it did great. I took it very easy because of the break in period, and after I finished I let it sit and cool for about two hours. I came back to ride it for a second time and I had difficulties getting it started and once started to keep an idle. I had to keep giving it a little bit of gas with the choke fully open and it wouldn't even stay running with the choke half open. After a few minutes of tinkering, I got it running and off I went. About ten minutes into the ride, I was in third gear just cruising along and the thing dies. It wouldn't restart and I had to push the bike back about a mile to the house(thank god it is not a utility bike). I let it sit for about another three hours and again it would not start. Would anyone have any suggestions or opinions of what it maybe. Thank you
-scott

Sparks425Ex
11-24-2002, 10:35 AM
Is there gas in it? First thing to check. And did you follow break in procedure properly?

And aren't you supposed to change the oil right after you break it in and then bring it in for a check up.

Ponm
11-24-2002, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. I followed the break in procedures as written in the manual, and the quad has less than two hours on it and the bike has atleast a half of tank of gas. It's really buggin me though.

dariusld
11-24-2002, 10:51 AM
Take it back to the dealer and ask them what is wrong. I don't know what is involved in the dealer setup, but that might be something to think about. When I got my bike from the dealer, the front brakes were spongy. I rode it and it got worse. I checked the master cylinder and it was low. I checked the front brakes and fluid was everywhere. The dealer filled the brake fluid, but didn't tighten the bleed screws enough. The dealer was too far from my house, so I just fixed it myself. But NACS425Ex sounds right about having gas, it sounds like you ran out. Just because you see gas in the tank does not mean there is enough gas. That is what I would check first.

Ponm
11-24-2002, 11:21 AM
Thank you, I will try it out. If it is out of gas, I'm going to feel pretty stupid. But it won't be the first or last time.
-scott

dariusld
11-24-2002, 11:49 AM
And you won't be alone. I do it every other week.