PDA

View Full Version : Clean UNI with gasoline?

jchevy
11-24-2002, 10:17 AM
I always cleaned my stock air filter with gasoline, can i do the same with a UNI. If not what else can i use? And yes i know it can be dangerous to use gas.

chavez
11-24-2002, 10:23 AM
gas breaks down the make up of the filter. i use to clean my filter with gas also, bad stuff. you should buy the filter wash but a little dawn dishwasing liquid should be fine it cuts dirt and grease and keeps hand soft and clean lol

11-24-2002, 11:50 AM
UNI says u can but i dont recomend it

jerry-89-250R
11-24-2002, 03:57 PM
i use kerosene, works great, doesn't hurt filter

jchevy
11-24-2002, 09:00 PM
Can i use Simple Green.

speedfreaky
11-25-2002, 02:13 PM
i once drank gasolene and it hurt ma lung my brover made me do it

SlapNutz
11-25-2002, 02:15 PM
:macho

Str8Wicked
11-26-2002, 01:17 PM
i once drank gasolene and it hurt ma lung my brover made me do it

and your alive....?

:eek:

bigbadbrad
11-29-2002, 03:58 PM
i would say **** no if your quad backfires your air filter will catch on fire possble. if you are going to use a petrolem product use something with a higher flashpoint than gas or better yet get some pj1 foam air filter cleaner for like 5 bucks and save your gas for your quad

the pj1 stuff works awsome just spray it one wait like 10 minutes and hoose the filter off with your garden hose with a little presure and your filter will look new. i used this stuff on my dads trx3004x4 whose filter was not cleaned for 2 years and the filter was black with dirt and dust and pollen and after i cleaned it it looked like a brand new filter and the quad ran a lot better also

11-29-2002, 04:32 PM
i uise the pj1 stuff too but i dont think its that great. im gunna try kerosene

99'300EX
11-29-2002, 05:05 PM
i use the pj1 cleaner and gas if im out of it..i think the gas cleans better..

sylvan56473
12-02-2002, 09:26 PM
Gas is a NO, NO!, when it comes to cleaning air filters. Like Chavez said, gas actually enlarges the holes in your air filter and lets larger particles of dirt and debris get into the engine. I'm not sure of Kerosene but I would think it would do the same thing. Dawn Dishsoap works very well and doesn't hurt anthing. Your best bet is to run to your local dealer and pick up some foam filter cleaner.

tprender
12-04-2002, 02:26 PM
Gas is bad if you let it dry on the filter. I have been using gas to wash my filter for over 15 years, and have had no problems. I was the filter with gas to get rid of the oil. I then was the filter with what even kind of dish soap that the wife has in the kitchen. I then let the filter dry real good before I put some type of foam filter oil on the filter. I have been using the same 2 filters for almost 2 years with no engine problems.
If you let the gas dry on the filter it will cuase the foam to rot, but if you get the gas out before it dries it will not cause any problems. I have both a stock and a UNI foam filter.

QuadTrix6
12-09-2002, 01:22 PM
i use PJ1 and karosene works great

4punksdad
01-01-2003, 11:09 AM
if you clean your filter with gas, you must make sure it is 100% dry before you apply your filter oil. Otherwise your oil will never soak into the filter, it will simply be more liquid and will get sucked through the filter & into the carb.

I use foam filter cleaner................or go-jo hand cleaner will work well too (not the kind with pumice). I then dry it on the exhaust port of my shop vac for a few minutes before I apply my filter oil.

Steve-o 400EX
01-01-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by chavez
gas breaks down the make up of the filter. i use to clean my filter with gas also, bad stuff. you should buy the filter wash but a little dawn dishwasing liquid should be fine it cuts dirt and grease and keeps hand soft and clean lol

Yea exactly what he said. I use to do it with my old 4-wheelers but once I found out that it breaks down the filter I stopped. I would just be safe and use the dish soap or buy a cleaning kit. Its not worth dust getting into your motor.:)

433rd
01-02-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by tprender
Gas is bad if you let it dry on the filter. I have been using gas to wash my filter for over 15 years, and have had no problems. I was the filter with gas to get rid of the oil. I then was the filter with what even kind of dish soap that the wife has in the kitchen. I then let the filter dry real good before I put some type of foam filter oil on the filter. I have been using the same 2 filters for almost 2 years with no engine problems.
If you let the gas dry on the filter it will cuase the foam to rot, but if you get the gas out before it dries it will not cause any problems. I have both a stock and a UNI foam filter.

Been doing the same, never had any problems.

KAWSAM62
01-02-2003, 01:23 PM
factory manual recomends to use karoseen ,sp, to clean the filter :cool:

Sportrax10
01-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Im just gonna stick with the stuff that UNI sells you. Cant go wrong with that.

01-04-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by bigbadbrad
i would say **** no if your quad backfires your air filter will catch on fire possble.

Back fires come out the exhaust, retard. Any way, with steady air entering the engine a spark will not be able to even get to the filter. Do u think u could run up a wind tunnel that is turned on? Doubt it. Didn't u eaver take physics or auto tech?

Steve-o 400EX
01-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ElkaKing

Back fires come out the exhaust, retard. Any way, with steady air entering the engine a spark will not be able to even get to the filter. Do u think u could run up a wind tunnel that is turned on? Doubt it. Didn't u eaver take physics or auto tech?

I agree, there is no possible way. Plus it goes through the carb which is spewing fuel into the mix anyway. Why do u think fuel gets all over ur filter when u flood it. :huh

But i still do recommend a filter cleaning kit because gas can break down some filters, if uni says its ok then use it. JMO.

01-05-2003, 04:41 PM

if theres a problem with the timing there could be a backfire into the carb. i have seen it so maybe you should watch who your calling retard.

Steve-o 400EX
01-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Yea but he's talking about it being caused from the gas on the filter. It evaporates really fast anyways so it isnt on there long. I am not saying it was ok for elka to call him a retard though, Thats their beef.;)

bigbadbrad
01-06-2003, 08:15 AM

well no i have not taken physics seeing that i am only a sophmore in high school and they only offer auto tech at my school when your a junior. and on my old sled when it back fired there was flames coming out of the carb and like mx123 said it is posible so i will just clean my filter with k&n filter clean and you can clean it with what you want to. and did you ever take english?