PDA

View Full Version : timing issue i think???

nastynotchback1
04-05-2008, 06:39 PM
well my starter clutch broke so i pulled it apart and installed a new one.put it back together and rode about 10 minutes and it just cut off with out warning.pulled it back down and it broke the key way.the key way was off set.i put a non off set key way back in it and now it runs but at about 5000 rpm(maybe alittle less)it hits what sounds to be a rev limiter.i thought somthing may be wrong with the vortex so i put the stock ignition box back on and same thing.was that key suppose to be offset?anyone ever had this problem before??

CR125Honda
04-07-2008, 09:52 AM
They might make them, I've just never heard of or seen an offset woodrif key.
Seems to me timing changes are done through programming now a days instead of mechanically.
Are you sure the flywheel didn't slip making it look "offset"?

Doesn't sound good to me..

From your description, I'm guessing your cam chain might have jumped a tooth causing an ignition issue.

Before the next run, I'd pull the valve cover off and check the valve timing and check the chain tension.

While the cover is off, it's obviously a good time to check valve clearance also.

Do a compression check also..

Make sure the nut holding the flywheel on is tight (torqued) also.

nastynotchback1
04-07-2008, 03:43 PM
they make them for 400 ex's i know but not sure about the z.the guy that built the motor way back when and use to maintain the motor for the original owner is an idiot!why would you put a degree key in a motor with a vortex ignition???i have found alot of things i could kick his teeth in for.i have just about got all the rigging out of this quad.i just did the valves 2 weeks ago and the chain was in perfect shape.don't know how it would have jumped with out breaking something but i can check it.i will check the compression also.thanks

nastynotchback1
04-07-2008, 07:53 PM
pulled it back down to night and found a little bit of trash on the igniter blocking half of it.cleaned it and reassembled it.runs great now.