PDA

View Full Version : Inner rotor question

riding4fun
04-05-2008, 05:24 PM
I installed a Malossi Inner Rotor today and I have a question regarding timing. I set it at 2.25mm BTDC or at least I think I did. If I am a little off what would be happening.

I seems to be running better but still has a low end drag but that may be because of the carb (dang carb tuning) or clutch.

Thanks,
Darrell

jandjracing
04-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Usually if the timing is too retarded, the quad will be slower off the line but pull like a Banshee on top. Too advanced and it will be very quick accelerating with poor top end pull. Too advanced will also burn very hot. I know the timing range on a PVL is 1.4 to 1.8 mm BTDC for most CVTs.

riding4fun
04-06-2008, 08:16 AM
So would you say I should advance it a little and see how it goes. Advancing is clockwise right?

Also the coil did not come with a spark plug wire and cap. Is there a preferred one I should use? I pulled my old one out of the coil but it wont stay in the new coil.

Thanks,
Darrell

jandjracing
04-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Zero out your timing dial indicator when the piston is at top dead center (TDC). Then rotate the inner rotor counter clockwise your desired setting (2.25mm?) Then line up the marks. Turning your stator clockwise will retard your timing once the inner rotor is tightened. Turning your stator counter clockwise will advance the timing. I guess I don't know why the timing shouldn't be the same as a PVL setup. Are you using a digital or analog setup?

I always use an NKG rubber plug cap/boot. The coil wires have always been on the coil for me.