PDA

View Full Version : Helmet 2-way Radios

tri5ron
04-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Do you use a 2-way radio while riding with others?

What kind do you use, and what do you like/dislike about it?

Do you use a helmet mounted radio like the Chatterbox? or a handheld type FRS/GMRS?

Do you use helmet speakers/mic?

Do you use the VOX function of the mic?
and does surrounding noise/engine noise screw up the VOX function?
or do you use a handlebar mounted PTT button?

What brand/model do you use, (Radio, and/or, speakers/mic)?

What kind of range do you get?

That's about all I can think of to ask right now, but any other info or comments are welcomed.

wilkin250r
04-05-2008, 11:28 AM
I've never like the VOX functions. I've never used a motorcycle-specific helmet communicator, most of my experience has been with hunting and skiing, so I can't really tell you about false triggering or anything, but I still didn't like the VOX functions.

I've been looking around for a full-duplex communication system (Full-Duplex: true two-way communication. Both people can talk at the same time, like a cell phone) but I can't find any. Most systems will offer full-duplex intercomm from rider to passenger, but will only offer simplex when actually using radio transmission from bike-to-bike. (simplex: one person at a time, like a walkie-talkie).

I've even though about designing my own full-duplex system (I'm an engineer), but I've since found the Interphone (http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/interphone-bluetooth-intercom.htm), so I'm going to give that one a try here probably this summer to see how it works. It doesn't have the best range in the world, but 1/4 mile in open space shouldn't be too bad.