PDA

View Full Version : Stiff throttle

97WarriorRider
04-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Hey guys im wondering what could be causing my throttle to be stiff. It is really hard. Im not looking for response to tell me to get stronger..Im telling ya this thing is stiff. I was wondering if a new cable would help. I had the spring out thats in the throttle housing and that didnt help any.

NacsMXer
04-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Spray silicone spray inside the cable while working the throttle....you should notice a night and day difference in ease and smoothness. I did mine a year ago and it's still smooth as butter haha.

If it gets back to how it was after a while your cable is probably worn and you would want to get a new one.

97WarriorRider
04-04-2008, 05:44 PM
ok..I think im gunna get a new cable anyway because its a stock 1999 cable and is showing signs of wear and I dont want it to break in the middle of a race..where can you get this silicone spray at? Is there any specific manufacture to go with?

NacsMXer
04-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Any hardware store will have it, brand doesn't really matter. Lube up the new cable with it when you get it and you should notice a huge difference!

97WarriorRider
04-04-2008, 06:09 PM
umm..yeah..I think ill just stick with the lube I can get at the local dealer..

NacsMXer
04-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Whatever's clever :D Just ask them for silicone spray or an equivalent cable lube then. Silicone spray is pretty generic, it's all the same so brand doesn't really matter like I said.

flauge
04-04-2008, 11:41 PM
That spring in the throttle housing doesnt take off much tension.. Ive already tried it.. :ermm:
If your still not happy after the silicone, you can try taking the tension off the spring in the carb... It might not be too safe but itll work. ;)

97WarriorRider
04-05-2008, 04:42 PM
how do you take tension of the spring in the carb..is it not safe because it doesnt have enough tension to pull the throttle back closed?

Ruby Soho
04-05-2008, 04:49 PM
i wouldn't mess with that stuff

just get a cable or lube it. if you mess with the springs and such there could be a chance that it sticks wide open on you

not fun.

flauge
04-05-2008, 06:52 PM
There is a greater chance of it getting stuck especially if the cable isnt lubed all the time. A lot of xc racers i know do this to their carbs, but everything probably gets checked and lubed after every race so it isnt much of a problem to them then.
:cool:
I think there was a thread about how to unwind the spring somewhere.