PDA

View Full Version : custom exhaust

SpeedBump
11-24-2002, 01:55 AM
well, how did we do? this is the new exhaust for my 300ex-350x conversion. took a 400ex headpipe, cut, bent it a little, and added some length to it. also had to put a few "dents" for kicker clearance. It sounds real good. I will post a few pics, let me know what ya think?

SpeedBump
11-24-2002, 01:55 AM
pic

SpeedBump
11-24-2002, 02:01 AM
here it is installed on the bike

SpeedBump
11-24-2002, 02:03 AM
real close to riding. just need to get new oilcooler lines refitted and the oilcooler mounted.

11-24-2002, 06:20 AM
looks really good. let us now how it is.

Sparks425Ex
11-24-2002, 08:56 AM
I bet that sucker0 is gonna really move. What do you plan on doing with it? Mx, TT, Drag, XC?

For Mx that will be pretty sweet but ya need some Suspension.

SpeedBump
11-24-2002, 01:38 PM
i can't race, too fat and old:devil Just hillclimb and trailride. suspension is expensive, well, good stuff is anyway. I will get to it, someday.

bklyn400ex
11-24-2002, 03:49 PM
looks really good, good luck

Chef
11-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Looks like it came from Honda that way...sweet!

Pappy
11-24-2002, 04:21 PM
looks very nice......good job:D i think you will love that combo....ive ridin that set up before and it was very fast. try to get a video clip up so we can hear it also:p

SpeedBump
11-24-2002, 05:29 PM
thank you guys for all the nice words. I can't get the video onto the net. my camera/camcorder doesn't have a firewire, just usb to transfer the stills. I got a friend that just got a new camera combo, he took some videao, but is also having trouble (he rides a Cannondale, no wonder has trouble!! :devil )uplaoding the video to a server. If i ever get some time to help him, we will see and hear how it sounds. (oh, btw a little bad news, i gave one of the headpipe bolts 1/2 turn too much.......STRIPPPPPPP!) Gotta get that leak fixed. BOOO!!! back to the garage.

Gusto
11-24-2002, 07:06 PM
Pipe looks really good! What type suspension you runn'in up front....looks like progessive or a Harley spring?

HiperEX
11-24-2002, 09:18 PM
HOw did u make that fmf pipe so shinny chrome i want mine to look like that but i dunno what polish to use MOTHERS?

Evan
11-25-2002, 12:13 AM
Thats a really nice looking X, Looks like it was made that way. Looks like honda should have made it that way to begin with. Nice polishing on the pipe. Sounds like a fun project.

SpeedBump
11-25-2002, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by HiperEX
HOw did u make that fmf pipe so shinny chrome i want mine to look like that but i dunno what polish to use MOTHERS? Not mothers. I used lots of sanding, then more sanding, then finally 3 stages of buffing wheels on electric motors with polishing compounds. check out this site http://www.eastwoodcompany.com The stuff can get kinda expensive, but well worth it. Here is a pic of my buddy's 86 R. It has 88 plastics, and the motor is a hard running 89. I did the polishing on the motor, turned out great, it is kinda dirty in this pic.
Originally posted by Gusto
Pipe looks really good! What type suspension you runn'in up front....looks like progessive or a Harley spring? That is a set of 400ex a-arms, and stock 250R shocks with duncan racing chrome coil springs ( shocks w/springs =ebay....$45.00 :devil )

SpeedBump
11-25-2002, 03:54 AM
here is another , he has new red 88 plastic too, but uses the white to beat on. It has few cracks already.

SpeedBump
11-25-2002, 03:56 AM
otherside motor. like i said, kinda dirty. needs cleaned up. he was crying , too. didn't waant pics taken with it lookin' bad. lol

SpeedBump
11-25-2002, 03:58 AM
Last one, i swear.....:blah gotta get to work.

"BLAHH"300!!
11-25-2002, 04:25 AM
did you relocate your top shock mounts?
it looks like it sits kinda high....my 300 ride's low..
i don't know what it is, but
it's lighter and lower than
any 300ex that i've compared it to.

could you go through and give a list of mods you had to do
to make the 350x convertion...give a rounded price of the finished product....

can i suggest...silver maier with black or blue graphics...add alittle yellow here and there....

also...the 350x motor is black from the factory. how hard would it be to get the paint off, and make it the metal color of a stock 300ex/400ex engine...that could be another winter project for you.

330EXman
11-25-2002, 09:36 AM
everyone that wants to do this conversion powrol racing has everything needed for the conversion

the 300 or 250x can be coverted and function very well, and they rip with this motor and you can make this motor very competitive with others

you can go through powrol or i can for you if anyone wants the conversion

and if you live around maine i can take your quad and do it for you i run JMS racing & TJ Racing converions and customizing we just opened and are looking for buisness

SpeedBump
11-25-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by "BLAHH"300!!

could you go through and give a list of mods you had to do
to make the 350x convertion...give a rounded price of the finished product....

only thing you need to do to the 350x engine is ..... chop off a 1-1/4" off the top rear motor mount boss, and either cut a small semi-circle in the upper frame tube, or trim down the oil line top banjo bolt about an 1/8" to clear. You will also need to make 2 spacers, one for the bottom front mounting boss, and one for the top rear mounting boss. Now the problem with this conversion.......gettin a 350x motor. I see them on ebay all day long for no less than $700 in good running shape. I have seen some go as high as $1200 in exceptional condition. I bought a complete running trike for $800. That is kinda cheap. usually they sell for more. other than that, if you just buy a motor, you will need to find a wiring harness, unless you want to have a big-a s s headache with the cuttin, and splicing. The last thing needed, is an exhaust. You can make one.... hard, takes skill and time, or buy one..... takes money. Powroll sells one, as someone has already said in a previous post. $465 i think. here is the link http://www.powroll.com/honda_atc_350x.htm

"BLAHH"300!!
11-25-2002, 10:44 PM
...you bought the whole 350x.?
are you going to do the swingarm convertion too?
the 350x swingarm will put you at +1. but you have to use the rear shock from the 350x also....and you have to use spacer's (washers) to mount the 350's swingarm to the 300ex....

a cheep extended swingarm....you already have the 250r front end...
if you've already thought of this, answer me a few more questions.,..
1) i've heard that the 350x carrier is too large or too big for the 300ex axel to fit through it right...witch is it?.
2) i have a durablue +2 on my 300ex. so will it fit?
3) if not, then what axel will fit?
4)only the 350x?
5) can i get a +2 axel from a company like lsr or durablue that will fit the 350x carrier?

and i'm still curiouse about why your 300ex sits so high in the front....well the whole bike sitts kinda high really. those are 250r shocks right?

SpeedBump
11-25-2002, 11:08 PM
yes, i bought the whole 350x. yes i am going to do the swingarm too, but not off this trike. I will buy a different one from somewhre.(btw my my measurements, it is closer to 1 3/4' longer than the 300ex swinger) the 300ex swinger will not fit, and i am still going to use the 350x chassis. the 300ex motor is being rebuilt......got the head shaved, got a 11.5:1 weisco in already, new DID timing chain. i going to put all new valves, guides, rockers, and get a good port and polish too. wanted to ride my quad, and would have rather kept the 300 motor all done up, but no cash at the time..... this way, can part and piece as i get money, and still b able to ride the quad. Yes, it sits high, it is a 400ex front end with 250r shocks, and Duncan Racing chrome coil springs. i plan on cutting the lower a arms, and settin the shock lower in them. it is either that, or chop the upper shock mounts, and that is not want i want... cuttin the frame. it will lower it some, but don't wnat to come down too much( i like the high look now) i used to have it all lowered, handles great low and wide. it has +4 up front with the 400ex arms, and i got a new LSR +2 - +5 rear axle out back. it is at +4 now. i had the carrier flipped over, so the axle was at the highest point in the cammed section. then switched it back to get the height.

1. the 350x carrier will not work witha 300ex, not sure bout bigger, but it is wider.
2.no
3.stock, any aftermarket
4.yes, duraBEND, LSR, Dominator, RadMfg. all make a 350x axle

"BLAHH"300!!
11-26-2002, 05:16 AM
fabricate up some sort of brackett that will mount in place of the 300ex top shock mounts. make it bolt in place of the 300ex shocks, i guess make it in an L shape an have another place to mount the 250r shocks up higher. i guess like a lowering kit. if you mounted the 300ex shocks to it, it would make it sit lower, with the 250r shocks mounted to it, it'll sit at the right heith...

make it, and i'll buy one when i do my 400 front end convertion.

SpeedBump
11-26-2002, 06:16 AM
that would be crappy looking, and wouldn't trust it to be safe, and heavy-duty enuff to jump with. best to cut them off, and reweld where you want them, i wouldn't make bolt on brackets. we looked at that possiblity, all my friends think it bad idea, as do i.

foxracer250ex
12-06-2002, 05:50 PM
hey craige this is cory whens the trike gonna be back together i seen it sittin in the shed whats it doin there? u gotta get it back to gether so i can take it for a ride!!! :D

foxracer250ex
12-06-2002, 06:05 PM
hey dont u think my one front fender is a little bit bigger than the other

foxracer250ex
12-06-2002, 06:11 PM
hey dont u think my one front fender is a little bit bigger than the other

12-06-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by SpeedBump
otherside motor. like i said, kinda dirty. needs cleaned up. he was crying , too. didn't waant pics taken with it lookin' bad. lol

WHAT! I cant even get mine that clean and hes cryin its dirty lol:blah