PDA

View Full Version : Plug Color's, jetting.

r-exrider0003
04-04-2008, 06:50 AM
So i've been working on finally gettin my 426 back together with a 450r carb that's givin me all kinds of trouble. but ive finally got it running decent, and i pulled the plug yesterday, and it appears to be lean, which thats no big deal, but it looked like really yellow, and had a dusty yellow type residue all over it. i was wondering if that could mean anything other than lean? also i noticed when taking the carb off after riding it to change jetting, there'd be like smoke(fuelsmoke not like oil or anything) rolling out of the carb and intake boot, and the intake boot would be pretty wet with gas. is this normal?

Wheelie
04-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Those are fuel vapors, yeah it's normal.

What is the bike jetted at right now?

Is the hot start plunger installed?

zrpilot
04-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by r-exrider0003
So i've been working on finally gettin my 426 back together with a 450r carb that's givin me all kinds of trouble. but ive finally got it running decent, and i pulled the plug yesterday, and it appears to be lean, which thats no big deal, but it looked like really yellow, and had a dusty yellow type residue all over it. i was wondering if that could mean anything other than lean? also i noticed when taking the carb off after riding it to change jetting, there'd be like smoke(fuelsmoke not like oil or anything) rolling out of the carb and intake boot, and the intake boot would be pretty wet with gas. is this normal?

Did you move the needle clip?

r-exrider0003
04-04-2008, 12:47 PM
yeah, well i switched back to dynojetting because i had a whole jet kit for it anyways. so i dont know if you you guys know anything about dyno, but im running a 155 Main, Needle E-Clip on third down(out of 6), Fuel/Air Screw 2.5 turns out, and a 48 Pilot, with the lid off. It runs pretty good, its somewhat choppy but not really often. best running ive had it so far. I might try a 160 main, i know i have tried a 165, and it was a bit rich. oh and yeah i finally got my hotstart plunger in, but i didnt use any silocone or anything. does that make any difference? also- zrpilot, what is the purpose of that screw you put on the top of yours next to a vent hose?

r-exrider0003
04-04-2008, 04:08 PM
also if i run it wide open in 5th for a good stretch, it dies, then i have to wait a sec to start it up again. anyone know what this would be from?

zrpilot
04-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by r-exrider0003
yeah, well i switched back to dynojetting because i had a whole jet kit for it anyways. so i dont know if you you guys know anything about dyno, but im running a 155 Main, Needle E-Clip on third down(out of 6), Fuel/Air Screw 2.5 turns out, and a 48 Pilot, with the lid off. It runs pretty good, its somewhat choppy but not really often. best running ive had it so far. I might try a 160 main, i know i have tried a 165, and it was a bit rich. oh and yeah i finally got my hotstart plunger in, but i didnt use any silocone or anything. does that make any difference? also- zrpilot, what is the purpose of that screw you put on the top of yours next to a vent hose?

The hot start should OK as long as the plunger and psring assy. is in there.
The reason for the extra screw is that I re-located the carb vent and that screw is the old carb vent that has the screw in it to plug it