PDA

View Full Version : who else finds riding boots for quads uncomfortable??

400exfan19
04-03-2008, 11:22 PM
whenever i use my riding boots i find them uncomfortable to shift with. It is much harder to shift with them and it just dosnt feel right. anyone have any suggestions??

klutch
04-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Adjust your shifter...? I can't shift on my dad's 400EX his shifter is too low... I adjusted my shifter on my 450R so its soooo easy to shift now!

04-03-2008, 11:43 PM
i have had this prob all you do is ride with them on no matter how hard it is an they will brake in an you will be fine... are they new boots? if they are thats most of the prob you just got to brake them in

klutch
04-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by 450killer265R
i have had this prob all you do is ride with them on no matter how hard it is an they will brake in an you will be fine... are they new boots? if they are thats most of the prob you just got to brake them in

How does that help? He is having a hard time shifting... I can almost garantee that he has never adjusted his shifter. The first time i rode with my boots i hated them. Later on that day got home adjusted my shifter. Then they were great.

CannondaleRider
04-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Yep, rotate your shifter up one or two splines, usually does the trick.

Other then that, just takes getting used to.....going from regular shoes, or flimsy work boots, where you have a lot of feeling...being able to feel the shifter well. To supporting riding boots, where the feeling is decreased...obviously, it'll take getting used to.

Usually, the higher quality boot you have, the easier they are to ride in. As odd as that sounds, going from a base $50 dollar O'Neal setup, to say Gaerne SG-10's alone will do some amazing things for your riding.

my88r
04-04-2008, 12:05 AM
i have alpinestar tech 3s and have no prob with feeling.:D

klutch
04-04-2008, 12:09 AM
I got my Fly Vipers for only $70 on sale. I love them!

glamiskid395
04-04-2008, 12:47 AM
adjust your shifter and breakin the boots.

i usually break in my boots by wearin them around the house and just bending/twisting them in the way that i will use them while riding, so when i take them for the first ride, they are like 'old' boots.

same idea as baseball players use to breakin gloves (at least i did when i played)

-mike

TWISTED
04-04-2008, 05:05 AM
Buy a pair of hinged boots. Gaerne, Sidi, and TCX are a few. They aren't cheap, but there's almost no break in... I love my Sidi's!!!!

<DRS>GPF
04-04-2008, 06:04 AM
i agree with the shifter recommendation..

to help break them in, ill use saddle soap to soften the leather around the bending points, then clear wax after a cleaning.. i use clear so it doesnt leave marks against anything they touch..

04-04-2008, 06:35 AM
break them in and learn how to shift with them and you will refuse to ride without them after that.

bwamos
04-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
you will refuse to ride without them after that.

Isn't that the truth. I dont know how many time my boots have saved me from a major injury or broken leg.

Once I was powersliding through a corner and hit a rut solid. It shifted my weight so hard that I litterally wrapped my shifter around the front edge of my motor. Huge bruise just above my ankle. If I weren't wearing my boots I garauntee I would have had a huge gaping hole in my leg, and being out in the middle of nowhere could have had serious concequences. It's much like a combo helmet/neckbrace for your foot and ankle.

I also agree that he probably just needs to move his shifter up a couple splines. I had too. It's a real pain to shift on my friends ATV that's not adjusted for a riding boot.

416exfreak
04-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I wouldnt ride without boots.

I was jumping one time, and I had the stock plastic heel guards...Long story short, my boot slipped off the chitty stock pegs and got lodged under the axle (quad somewhat landed on my leg) and Im 100% positive that without boots on, I wouldve broke my leg. Im sure of that.

I refuse to ride without boots now.:)

klutch
04-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Ever since the first time i wore my boots... I haven't ridden without a set on since then. I have and never will ride without my boots.

BlaineKaiser450
04-04-2008, 04:30 PM
i personaly like to ride with my boots than with construction boots or w/e. They feel more "solid"

NAVA
04-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey buddy I read your message and try out the 50/50 THOR boots . They work just great when I ride my quad. Believe me when I first my quad I went ahead and bought myself two different kind of boots FOX and O'NEAL. They didn't help the problem. So I ran into THOR and solved the problem. I sold my O'NEAL boots for $80. I still have the FOX boots.I have not got rid of them yet. Hey man good luck.THOR has I believe 3 different colors, black (I have these) white, tan.

reptikes
04-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by NAVA
Hey buddy I read your message and try out the 50/50 THOR boots . They work just great when I ride my quad. Believe me when I first my quad I went ahead and bought myself two different kind of boots FOX and O'NEAL. They didn't help the problem. So I ran into THOR and solved the problem. I sold my O'NEAL boots for $80. I still have the FOX boots.I have not got rid of them yet. Hey man good luck.THOR has I believe 3 different colors, black (I have these) white, tan.

Thor 50/50, i like them the best for riding quads (by far).

NJ450rider
04-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Alpinestars Vector boots are the best boots ive ever worn. No break in time and you feel like your wearing sneakers. they might look like moon boots but there awesome!! Astars discontinued them and rmatv had them on cleareace a few months ago. I bought a few pairs for the future. The astars tech 3's are what replaced them but my bro doesnt like them at all.

IMHO the best a star boot for your money are the Tech 7's. Molded and sharing parts with the tech 10's and half the price. How can you go wrong?

04-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Isn't that the truth. I dont know how many time my boots have saved me from a major injury or broken leg.

Once I was powersliding through a corner and hit a rut solid. It shifted my weight so hard that I litterally wrapped my shifter around the front edge of my motor. Huge bruise just above my ankle. If I weren't wearing my boots I garauntee I would have had a huge gaping hole in my leg, and being out in the middle of nowhere could have had serious concequences. It's much like a combo helmet/neckbrace for your foot and ankle.

I also agree that he probably just needs to move his shifter up a couple splines. I had too. It's a real pain to shift on my friends ATV that's not adjusted for a riding boot.

my friend wasnt wearing boots he was wearing sneakers and when he hit this bump his shifter went into his leg keeping him on a quad that rolled 8 times. Wasnt pretty... So yeah the boots protect a lot and they are comfortable after breaking them in.

ATVMX905
04-06-2008, 09:08 AM
yah shiftings hard to do in my alpinestar tech 3's.:(

LT250_JOE
04-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I wear the thor 50/50 boots also. No shifter adjustment needed. Bought them a year ago and when they wear out I'll buy another pair. They are also feather light.