PDA

View Full Version : How much does a crf450 motor itself cost, or can I get one by itself?

SandyCrab
11-23-2002, 10:07 PM
Hey, I just wanted to know, couse they say that it makes 55 hp stock, and if that, it surely won't cost as much as a 465 kit(w/ all the goods). I think I will use a stock frame, because I have a welder. Thanks for any help!!

330EXman
11-23-2002, 10:31 PM
a crf motor cost alot you can get a new motor from honda for around $3200-3500

but you can buy a used bike for the same price

i know this is a honda site but these machines already have the pro level power it all comes down to rider so takin a rtiny hp doesnt hurt i would suggest building a 426 you dont have to destroke it and it had almost as much power cost alot less and is all ready and legal for comp

my$.02

Chef
11-23-2002, 10:38 PM
Well, since he said it will most likely be cheaper than a 465 kit, he probably isnt MX'ing. He is probably building a dune quad. And, if money really doesnt matter, then get that CRF motor, and build it like a mad man, and have some serious 4-Stroke horsepower, YEAH!

RIDER11X
11-24-2002, 12:45 AM
AS FAR AS I KNOW THE 440cc LIMIT ONLY APPLIES AT MX AND TT NATIONALS. MOST LOCAL PROMOTERS RUN 400'S AGAINST RAPTORS AND DISPLACEMENT IS NOT A QUESTION. BESIDES PROBABLY JUST A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THEY BUMP UP THE 440cc LIMIT AGAIN ANYWAY!;)

RIDER11X
11-24-2002, 12:47 AM
CALL PLANET HONDA- THEY USUALLY HAVE GOOD PRICES ON OEM STUFF!:D

11-24-2002, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
AS FAR AS I KNOW THE 440cc LIMIT ONLY APPLIES AT MX AND TT NATIONALS. MOST LOCAL PROMOTERS RUN 400'S AGAINST RAPTORS AND DISPLACEMENT IS NOT A QUESTION. BESIDES PROBABLY JUST A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THEY BUMP UP THE 440cc LIMIT AGAIN ANYWAY!;)

yea most places around me dont enforce any displacement or width rules. there is a raptor racing with utilities, a banshee that i well over 50 inches etc.

Sparks425Ex
11-24-2002, 08:54 AM
Well i love Honda but if i was gonna do a conversion go with a Yz426.

They are in the legal limit and also are making the same amount of H.P.

Or very close i can;t remember the numbers. I raced a friends quad one that had +3 a arms and We took stock 400Ex 4:1 rims and Flippeed them. And they let me race it. I was at like 53-54 inchies i think it was. Most local places don;t check but nationals doo.

SandyCrab
11-25-2002, 09:38 PM
No, I don't want to race MX or TT. I am building a dune bike, though. It is cheaper than a 465, so why not? Plus, it makes about over 50 ponies stock, sounds good to me.

PismoGuy400
11-25-2002, 10:16 PM
just do it. it will be easier than building a nice reliable 465.

you would already have the motor tuned well so you wont have to do any experiments w/ jetting , etc..

that thing will be crazy fast if and when you get it done.:devil

it would be harder to hide (if you were planning to build a sleeper) than the 465 but who cares...

as i said before.. "just do it"

good luck
pismoguy

Extremeracer167
11-25-2002, 10:20 PM
geeze if u want a powerfull 4 stroke, put a raptor motor in and beef the h#ll out of it. Once u get a 450, there probly isnt a whole lot more u can do with the engine. Most engine builders arent doing much to get power out of them. And if u get a raptor, motor, u can easily push 50-60 ponies. The CRF would be a great motor for MX, TT, or XC, but i dont think it would for dunes. just my opinion.

Chef
11-25-2002, 10:24 PM
I think it would be a great dune motor, especially on alcohol, and with a little more compression and displacement. It revs to teh moon, and thats always good for the sand. And its really light, too.

RIDER11X
11-26-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
geeze if u want a powerfull 4 stroke, put a raptor motor in and beef the h#ll out of it. Once u get a 450, there probly isnt a whole lot more u can do with the engine. Most engine builders arent doing much to get power out of them. And if u get a raptor, motor, u can easily push 50-60 ponies. The CRF would be a great motor for MX, TT, or XC, but i dont think it would for dunes. just my opinion.

RAPTOR MOTORS BLOW OUT TRANNIES IN STOCK FORM! ADD MORE PONIES?:rolleyes:
AND, NEVER DISGRACE A HONDA WITH YAMAHA PARTS!!!:blah :D

airheadedduner
11-26-2002, 02:03 AM
For duneing I would take the YZ motor over the CRF. It is a harder hitting powerplant that is supposed to be more 2 stroke like. Plus you can buy a whole older YZ400F bike for less then what the CRF motor cost.

Extremeracer167
11-26-2002, 09:38 AM
well even honda said the CRF motor wont take the stress of the extra weight of the quad. And also, get a CRF motor, run it for a while, and see how long the valves stay in it. Either that or the 2 guys that i know of that have them just got lemons. The one guy went through 3 sets of valves, and on the 3rd set, the one broke in half and put a hole through the top of his motor! The other guy went through 2 sets, and still cant get them to stay in adjustment. And if any of you are familiar with the CRF, there are no screws to adjust the valves. U gotta take it all apart, and put in valve shims. Screw that, ill stick with turing a screw on the EX. And then u start putting alky in it......see how reliable it would be.

Oh and if u say not to disgrace a honda with yamaha parts, why is everyone talking about YZF motors? And the craptors may have had there problems in the past, and by no means am i saying i like them. But u can pump aout a lot more power alot easier then out of the EX. And i think you would be an idiot to disagree:rolleyes:

Scott400EX
11-26-2002, 01:28 PM
If you want a powerful engine why not get one from a 650L. Its still got electric start and will fit in a 400ex frame with some modifications. and its got more HP hat the 450

smith
11-26-2002, 02:14 PM
yes, the Achilles' heal of the CRF motor is definately the Intake valves. The CRF eats them like a fat boy at a hotdog eating contest! (so, no, your buddy's didn't have lemons) Also, you are correct, the tranny's are NOT meant for an ATV, but should be able to get a full season out of them before needing replacing!

Extremeracer167
11-26-2002, 02:24 PM
Hopefully honda addressed that problem. I dont know what would cause thos valves to be so bad though:confused:

smith
11-26-2002, 03:17 PM
Honda's tried but hasn't found an answer yet. Reason that it happens?...They are trying to make the valves and everything else as light as possible for quick reving and to be competative with 2 strokes, unfortunatly they haven't found a way to make them last, for now they simply call them a "wear item" much like a chain and sprockets. Simply, "use for so many hours and expect to replace"..... this is why seeing a CRF450 in an ATV chassis isn't in our near future! For now, the manufacturer's (other than C'dale) produce ATV's on the REAL conservative side so that they can be riden and not maintained. The CRF wants attention and to be looked after carefully and maintained. Until they realize that many ATV owners can do that, they won't be making this model unfortunatly for us!

Extremeracer167
11-26-2002, 03:25 PM
Yeah cause the one guy that blew his up. He ran Black diamond valves, which are supposed to be top quality. He had it together for about 3 hours, and it was running great. then it happenned. Snapped in half, and blew out the top of his motor:huh so they have his motor, and are replacing everything that blew:D