PDA

View Full Version : Gearing.

klutch
04-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Ok so i have an 04 450R no engine mods.... 20" front tires and 18" rears. I was riding at the track yesterday and on some of the tighter turns i would be in 1st gear and come around the turn leaned into it slide it around, but the bike would kind of sound a little weird like it wanted to bog out or something, whenever i was coming out of the turn it would make this noise.... its on stock gearing...

What should i do? should i just drop down a tooth? i already have the extra sprocket. This was my 2nd ride on it. My first ride on my 450 at an MX track.

Any help appreciated. Also I was planning on buying like an HMF Slipon or something.... I don't have much cash to buy a full system... Am looking for low to mid end power...

Thanks.
Damian.

kwatts400
04-03-2008, 10:00 PM
A 13t front sprocket made a big diff for me with 20in rear tires. That was the first thing I did before the hrc kit, dr d slip-on, & k&n filter.

Hope that helps you out a little.

klutch
04-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by kwatts400
A 13t front sprocket made a big diff for me with 20in rear tires. That was the first thing I did before the hrc kit, dr d slip-on, & k&n filter.

Hope that helps you out a little.

I have 18s in the rear and a completely stock engine? Should i still drop the tooth?

jimerson132
04-06-2008, 12:07 AM
hey i run flattrack (tt) on a 05 450r and what ive found best for low end is 13 36 makes a huge diff when runing that gearing i get 2nd gear holeshots and another thing i would like to sugest is go down to an 18 inch tire in the front

klutch
04-06-2008, 12:12 AM
18s in the front?! Thats kind of small... I do MX and some fields though... I need the low end so i figure the 13 tooth with a slip on or a full system will give me enough.

kwatts400
04-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by klutch
I have 18s in the rear and a completely stock engine? Should i still drop the tooth?

If you already have the sprocket, it can't hurt to try it out. It only takes a few mins to change out. I've never had 18s on my bike, so I can't honestly answer that. It was the first thing I did before anything to the engine, and I was pleased with the difference it made.

BlaineKaiser450
04-06-2008, 10:51 AM
mine does that too, it kinda shudders in corners like that. I just set my idle a little higher and i ahvent stalled it yet.