PDA

View Full Version : Chain Adjustment-LT

CreoRacing
04-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Is it just me, or is the chain adjustment on the new swingarm just for looks. Maybe there is a trick, but it appears the grooved adjustment is not even close to the correct "sweep" to rotate at all. Any input would help. Thanks, JR.

jaksdad
04-03-2008, 11:34 PM
A problem or two we had with the latest swing arm chain adjustment on 08 ProSharks (Apex)
We had one of these that had only been ridden for approx 3 hours, we had to remove one link from the chain for the tensioner to actually work, not the actual spring tensioner but the adjustable axle 'hub' itself, the 'hub' working on a 'cam' principle was able to go all the way around without doing anything !! oh,it is fine now.
With another new one as you rotated the hub to adjust the chain tension the hub would only move about 10 cms, what was happening was the large locating circlip was 'loading up' in its groove, so whichever way you turned the hub it would lock up, therefore you had no adjustment. We had to strip out the axle, clean everything up, then cleaned the paint off at the edges of the 'hub' carrier on the swingarm, put it all back together and lubricate the carrier so that it would go all the way around, replaced the chain, and we were good again. Just put it down to the Taiwan Tolerances again !
We are now finding seams splitting on the Alloy radiators, things get better everyday, not ! Everything getting sorted under warranty though, so everyone is happy.
Rod

CreoRacing
04-04-2008, 06:46 AM
It sounds like I am having your 2nd issue. The carrier will not rotate at all and it seems to be binding at the locating guide(Pin welded on the left side of swingarm). Do you have any pics that might help with this solution? Thanks.

yfz450ba
04-04-2008, 07:01 AM
call Greg at Apex, he will tell you how to fix it. I did it his way and it worked fine. 480-507-5050

CreoRacing
04-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks, that was the plan this a.m. I was hoping there was a fix.
Can you give a quick summary of what the fix is, YFZ450ba. Just in case anyone else is having this issue.

jetmedic
04-04-2008, 05:04 PM
you guys need to weld a gusset on the bottom of the carrier where it meets down tubes. do it now! the swingarm will break. not knocking apex at all greg knows and it will be fixed. we took the 08 to a 1st place at pell city.

jetmedic
04-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Look into the bracket that holds caliper. I found the inside diameter to be a little too tight on the carrier. there is a big circlip that holds it on. remove bracket and open up inside a little and carrier will move freely during adjustment.