PDA

View Full Version : Intake Question

STUNTIN400EX
04-03-2008, 08:18 PM
HERE IS A PIC OF MY NEW UNI AIR FILTER AND BRAIDED BRAKE LINES. DOES ANYONE RUN THEIR FILTER WITH OUT THE INSIDE CARTRIDGE, AND THERE SEEMS TO BE TWO TABS IN THE AIR BOX THAT WON'T ALLOW THE AIR FILTER TO SEAT CORRECTLY. SHOULD I CUT THEM OUT? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/NINJARDR91750/BIKE%20PICS/ATV%20PICS/IMG_0554.jpg

glamiskid395
04-03-2008, 08:25 PM
the screen keeps the air filter from collapsing when the engine is wanting AIR. so i would use it.

as for the two tabs, cut them, i did to get my K&N to fit, other wise they will rub on the UNI filter and put a hole in it.

07trx400ex
04-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I had to cut my tabs.

On the cage....... I can't believe you are asking this but......

If you want to see what happens without the cage hook it up, warm up your engine give it some gas and watch what happens to the filter.

If you think that would be a desirable condition for the filter to be in go for it.

Sorry to be a smart*** but...

STUNTIN400EX
04-03-2008, 08:30 PM
THANKS FOR THE HELP! THE TABS WILL GET HACKED OFF TOMORROW NIGHT!

07trx400ex I was just asking because it is my first aftermarket air filter for my quad. and when i got my bmc for my zx7 it was totally different then the factory one.

07trx400ex
04-03-2008, 08:36 PM
The cage acts as a support as well as a filter. During WOT the amount of suction on the filter would cause it to collapse, greatly reducing the amount of surface area.

It would probably get sucked into the intake. These bikes really suck a lot air, especially with the box opened up.

Sorry for the rude response lol...

It's all in fun.

glamiskid395
04-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by 07trx400ex
The cage acts as a support as well as a filter. During WOT the amount of suction on the filter would cause it to collapse, greatly reducing the amount of surface area.

It's all in fun.

that shows how restrictive air filters are. maybe you shouldnt run one, youll get alot more air in:rolleyes: (and dirt) lol:huh

UNBROKEN
04-03-2008, 08:53 PM
^ thats wut K&N filters are for :devil:

glamiskid395
04-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
^ thats wut K&N filters are for :devil:

thats why i run K&N! :macho

UNBROKEN
04-04-2008, 12:58 PM
wut to suck in dirt lol jk, k&n just require more maitnece thats y i run uni

glamiskid395
04-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
wut to suck in dirt lol jk, k&n just require more maitnece thats y i run uni

yes sir, they do require more maintanence but i dont mind, i just clean them while im cleanin the bike. i dont like foam filters. i think i have 3 UNI/WB filters in my trailer cupboard that are brand new, cuz they came with pipes

gcart2
04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by 07trx400ex

It would probably get sucked into the intake. These bikes really suck a lot air, especially with the box opened up.

It's all in fun.

actually i have the same filter (came with my hmf) and i lost the cage and ran without it. It didnt collapse. However i do not suggest doing so because uni would not have included it if it was not needed.The cage is to stop it from collapsing just in case. K&N suck.

hornetgod13
04-04-2008, 04:47 PM
I've been running without the cage now for 6 months. It does not collapse even at wide open throttle. I think the cage is precautionary but, not really needed.

klutch
04-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I have a UNI in my 300EX and haven't had the cage in since i put on. Still don't have a problem with it...

glamiskid395
04-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
actually i have the same filter (came with my hmf) and i lost the cage and ran without it. It didnt collapse. However i do not suggest doing so because uni would not have included it if it was not needed.The cage is to stop it from collapsing just in case. K&N suck.

only if your too lazy to clean and oil them like they should be!

ive been running K&N on my 400 since 05 and it hasnt let any dirt in, i use white lithium grease inside the intake boot to see if any dust/dirt gets through, and nothing has been seen.

K&N are highflow filters, just think how they could get that high flow effect...;)