PDA

View Full Version : how to:mod harness?

honda4life72
04-03-2008, 08:08 PM
does anybody have pics of how to cut out the key,brake light,headlight,and all the other usless crap on the wiring harness? i would like to do it myself without sending it somewhere

thanks

Scro
04-04-2008, 06:38 AM
You will need to get a wiring diagram either off the web, or out of a service manual. After you have the diagram, remove the electrical tape from the harness and find the wires that you want to remove. Clip them off as short as possible and tape the harness back up. It's really not hard at all. For your reassurance you may want to get a wirecap to crimp over the bare wire. But if you put enough tape on it, water won't get to it.

honda4life72
04-04-2008, 02:07 PM
where can i find a diagram? on the web, liek what site?

aleiht85
04-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Ok I am a noob here and I don't quite understand the point in this mod. Is for weight savings? I can't imagine it could weight that much.

honda4life72
04-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by aleiht85
Ok I am a noob here and I don't quite understand the point in this mod. Is for weight savings? I can't imagine it could weight that much. tt racing u save as much as u can. i'm just doing it to clean the wires up a bit. i dont use the lights and such

aleiht85
04-04-2008, 06:40 PM
I am sorry for another dumb question but what does TT stand for? Hopefully twin turbo ;).

honda4life72
04-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by aleiht85
I am sorry for another dumb question but what does TT stand for? Hopefully twin turbo ;). exactly lol
no its a form of flat track racing. but its like a motocross track with no jumps

aleiht85
04-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks, that actually sounds fun. I dont' think we have that up here.

deathman53
04-05-2008, 07:09 PM
I did tt once, loved it. Unfortunity atv was setup for mx, so didn't do so well. Yes, removing all the unneeded wires from the harness will make the bike lighter(only to so much of a point) and easier to diagnose if there is electrical problems. However keep this in mind, what happens if/when you want to sell the bike or you need to use the lights and the wires are gone. I would remove the tail light, shove the wires into the airbox, remove the switch cluster and tuck the wire under the tank or something, remove the key switch and join/unjoin the wires needed to make it work right. I had a 250r with the cdi, coil wires and stator connection wires. I was really pissed I couldn't have gone riding a bunch of times, as lights were kinda needed.

It may sound cool to you now, but later on, you can/might kick yourself for removing all the unneeded wires. 2 friends of mine did and they kicked themselves afterwards, they eneded up buying new harnasses.