PDA

View Full Version : Advanced timing key

sduncan
11-05-2001, 10:02 PM
Can you run an advanced timing key such as the Sparks part without using the hot CDI box? All I have done to my EX is put a 40 tooth rear sprocket on and cleaned the jetting up. It runs pretty well and I have beaten 3 other EX's with pipes and airbox mods ect. No, I'm not B_sh---in. I'm a little to old for that. And yes, the other guys were pretty fair riders. I don't want the racket of a pipe, but am considering a k&n filter to help the breathing a touch. Anybody tried this? Thanks

11-05-2001, 10:46 PM
Yes you can use the Curtis Sparks Ignition advance key with out a hi rev CDI box. In fact I don't recommend a hi rev CDI box on a 400EX.

max400EX
11-05-2001, 11:01 PM
I have the Advance key.. it's been sitting here for a few months and it looks to hard for me to put in.. I am not too mechanically inclined and the intructions they give aren't sufficient for me.

11-06-2001, 06:48 AM
max400EX,

I know what your saying, it was hard for me to get the cajones up to open up my new motor. But I did, it wasn't to hard, you just gotta have a good set of tools and a torque wrench would be smart. You need like a 1 1/8" wrench to hold the flywheel while you loosen the bolt as well. Scraping old gasket material off was the most tedious part cause you gotta be careful not to gouge the sealing surface. But after all the worrying was over and I put what seemed like a pointless part in, I was happy with the outcome. Bikes got some more snap to it now. If you have any more questions or want more detail on the instructions let me know.

11-06-2001, 03:31 PM
I also make the timing advance keys and they are simple to install. The only recomendation that I have is that if you buy one from Sparks and you use the bolt that they send as a flywheel puller, first dress a radius on the end of the bolt to keep it from damaging the end of your crank, it also helps to put a little grease on the end. Tighten the bolt down very tight and then with a rubber mallet tap on the end of the bolt to help loosen the flywheel. Tighten the bolt some more until it pops loose. Install the new key into the crank with the side that is cut away facing to your right. This allows the flywheel to rotate further counter clockwise for the advancement. Put the flywheel back on just starting over the key and rotate it CCW so it pushes against the key. Push the flywheel on as far as you can, install your flywheel bolt and tighten it slightly. Using the rubber mallet again tap in the center of the flywheel a couple of times and then tighten the bolt some more. Keep doing this until you get no more movement. If the flywheel is not on all of the way it will shear the key off immediately and the motor will start to run bad and backfire. It is easier than you may think to do this so give it a try.

11-06-2001, 04:24 PM
if you advance the timing does it affect the cold starting of the bike

11-06-2001, 05:04 PM
The 400's are cold blooded anyway. But if you have them jetted just on the rich side for winter they will start fine. So far I have not noticed any change in starting with mine.

Dave400ex
11-06-2001, 06:01 PM
If I buy the key I am going to take the 400 out to our local dealer and have them put it in. I`m sure they know how to do it the right way. Everybody seems to have a different way of putting them in. Sparks is really easy. Dirtyp`s sounds a little harder. I`ll take it to the dealer and not worry about it.

max400EX
11-06-2001, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys!!
I'm gunna print this off and give it a shot if I have free time (and time where im not ready to fall asleep) I will do it this week.

I probably need new gaskets though don't I? If so, what ones? Thanks guys!

booneTRX
11-07-2001, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by max400EX
I have the Advance key.. it's been sitting here for a few months and it looks to hard for me to put in.. I am not too mechanically inclined and the intructions they give aren't sufficient for me.

Man, if you cant open the side cover and pull the flywheel, dont get pro peg nerfs. That will take longer than installing a flywheel key!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

max400EX
11-07-2001, 11:37 PM
LOL, I will take my chnaces with both items. I ordered the nerfs today... Black nets baby! They will be like $170

Tommy 17
11-08-2001, 01:58 PM
what does this thing do......

sduncan
11-08-2001, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the info fellas. I live about 10 miles from Sparks shop so I'll go get one next week before our Dumont trip. Thanks again.

11-08-2001, 11:18 PM
I need one of those advance keys, like yesterday. How can I get one tomorrow?