PDA

View Full Version : 400ex hubs and studs

az416ex
04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I went out riding hard the other day and didn't torque down my wheels tight enough after switching my dirt tires with my paddles. I was about 6 miles out and my rear wheel came off. I was able to remove two lugs from the other rear tire and limp it in real slow. I now have screwed up studs. Does anyone know if you can get studs only or do I have to get a whole new hub. If I need a new hub how difficult are they to change out.

hornetgod13
04-03-2008, 07:25 PM
The studs are pressed in. Honda online parts doesn't show a part number for just the studs. You have to order the entire hub assembly.

I suggest just buying a nice used hub off this website or Ebay.

kodymx13
04-03-2008, 07:39 PM
been there done that ruined a set of beadlocks. press out the old ones. go a auto parts store and they should have some same or similar size. "take lugs nuts too" then press them back in. so much cheaper than buying a whole $200 hub from honda.

jesseweaver
04-03-2008, 07:50 PM
how many studs do you need? i have an old hub because the exact same thing happened to me. the dealership guy told me you had to buy a new hub and i did ( a used one on eBay for like $30) and i found out i didnt need to and i was pissed. i think theres still 2 good studs in that hub. i could give you those studs free or if you want the whole hub and you get new studs ill give you that for like $15.

glamiskid395
04-03-2008, 08:22 PM
ive had that happen to me a couple years ago, was able to use a spark plug wrench to get the nuts tightened down and get back to camp.

went to the "mall" (glamis) and got a couple studs but didnt put them in because i was able to use a die on them. studs are nowhere to be found though..

so yes you can get replacement studs, made buy Honda. or you can go to auto parts store and get some.

Aarons 01 400EX
07-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by glamiskid395
ive had that happen to me a couple years ago, was able to use a spark plug wrench to get the nuts tightened down and get back to camp.

went to the "mall" (glamis) and got a couple studs but didnt put them in because i was able to use a die on them. studs are nowhere to be found though..

so yes you can get replacement studs, made buy Honda. or you can go to auto parts store and get some.

I searched every autoparts store (Autozone, Advanced, and O'Riely's) and they didn't have 10m studs.

Honda sells wheel studs for the 450r and the 250r, but they want you to buy a hub assembly for a 300ex and 400 ex. All Honda wheel studs are the the same among these quads and cost around $4.50 each. I just spent $45 for four studs and lugnuts from Honda.

ridinga400ex
07-21-2008, 02:54 PM
I went to my local dealer Troy City Garage and they hooked me up with a stud from I think an 05.I dont know why but when they looked up a stud for my 2001 they said I had to buy a whole hub,but I had him compare the studs and they matched up perfect.I ended up just buying a stud for I think $5-7.00.I broke off a stud when i cross threaded the lug onto it while tightening it(bad habbit I got)Abyways i used a punch and a 5lb sledge and was able to knock the old stud out and bang in the new one.Everything actually worked out great.I couldnt ee spend all that money on a new hub when it just needed the 1 stud.I hope this helped.Dont quote me on the years I used for reference i think it was a stud from an 05 but it could have been newer.Just ask you local dealer.All the 400ex studs are the same.GOOD LUCK!!!