PDA

View Full Version : 400ex no start?

REDRIDDER
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
well went out to ride the ex and when i went to start it, it turn over a couple of times then all of the sudden i kept hearing a pop noise like when you blow a fuse, now the neutral light doesn't come on and if i play with the solenoid the neutral light will come on i try to start it and that popping noise again.Ive checked my fuses,grounds,battery im stumped any suggestions would be helpful.im thinking its the solenoid or bad connection somewhere i really haven't checked everything over good yet just looking for some help.i do have a test light here but no volt meter damm.

BigBore24
04-03-2008, 03:08 PM
did you try jumping across the starter solenoid? sounds like it could b bad

REDRIDDER
04-03-2008, 03:18 PM
correct me if im wrong but you place a screwdiver across both neg and possitve on the solenoid?

REDRIDDER
04-03-2008, 03:36 PM
if thats what you do i have no power to the solenoid, nothing happens do you think it could be my ignition.remember i have no neutral light at all ,it did come on once but when i tried to start it it when out again and since then nothing happens like i have no power?.........................HELP!!!!!

Ntensweapon
04-03-2008, 04:05 PM
check your fuses if you think blew one. turn off your headlights and try it. my friends ex had a short in the lighting.

REDRIDDER
04-03-2008, 04:23 PM
fuses are good when i turn the ignition on nothing no lights no neutral light no power at solenoid nothing....?

lorenjr83
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM
check all your grounds. sub frame to frame and everything, battery terminals

Ruby Soho
04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
yes check your ground..

BigBore24
04-03-2008, 05:54 PM
on the two large terminals on your starter solenoid (the one by the battery) niether one is a ground. one should be hot directly off the battery (12v) the other should be hot when you push the button. so jumping across this eliminates your start button circuit. make sure you have 12 volts on one terminal. if you do and nothing happens when you jump across it then it is most likely your starter or a ground like ruby and lorenjr said

the Z Man
04-03-2008, 11:48 PM
I had a ground cable break inside the black housing, run a jumper from the battery to a good ground and try that.

04-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Surely the first thing to check is the battery? You say you have no test meter, how have you checked the battery? Maybe take a jump from a car and try it. The starter solinoid could be the popping sound as it doesn't have enough voltage to throw it over. Just my 2p but worth checking.

REDRIDDER
04-04-2008, 08:54 AM
went out this morning and turned the ignition and i had lights and a neutral light hit the start button and pop again and back to nothing. what does this sound like to you guys .Thanks

the Z Man
04-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by the Z Man
I had a ground cable break inside the black housing, run a jumper from the battery to a good ground and try that.

REDRIDDER
04-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by the Z Man
you have a pm please check it.

zdowell
04-04-2008, 09:59 AM
you sure your battery isn't just dead? and i bet that noise is just the solenoid just clicking because the battery is dead. get a charger and try charging the battery real good. or can you get someone to push you and try pop starting it? if you do you a car battery to jump start you, do not have the car running or you could have more problems.

REDRIDDER
04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
problem solved....i just put on a new sub frame a couple of days ago and were the neg from the battery connected to the frame it wasn't making a good ground so i sanded it down and wow lights and all,starts right up thanks guys.

my88r
04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
problem solved....i just put on a new sub frame a couple of days ago and were the neg from the battery connected to the frame it wasn't making a good ground so i sanded it down and wow lights and all,starts right up thanks guys.

pretty simple fix.lol:muscle: