PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Calipers - Poor Castings?

havinnoj
04-03-2008, 01:13 PM
For those that have polished calipers, are yours deeply pitted or have you been able to polish them completely with no voids?

drew416ex
04-03-2008, 03:11 PM
The only way to polish them is to take all of those pits down and make the calipers smooth. Then you can begin to polish them.

havinnoj
04-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Agreed.

The company that polished them said they are deeply pitted when casted, which is true because their cast looks pretty rough.
However, their polish job was pretty shotty and I can't tell if the EX calipers are just generally hard to polish...

glamiskid395
04-03-2008, 05:31 PM
i would say yes they are hard to polish.
i wont even try to do them, ill send them to my chrome guy to get them polished. should only be $30.

they are just like the engine marks, you have to sand alot before all the casting marks are gone, but when they're gone they polish good!

havinnoj
04-03-2008, 06:58 PM
yeah I didn't have time to get into looking them over real hard, but when I did they didn't look pretty :mad:

But basically the question is - if you sand and prep them well, they should shine up really well?

glamiskid395
04-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by havinnoj
yeah I didn't have time to get into looking them over real hard, but when I did they didn't look pretty :mad:

But basically the question is - if you sand and prep them well, they should shine up really well?

yes, they will if you take the time to sand them to get all the bumps and pits out.

heres a pic, you can see the mount, but it doesnt look as good as it really is. (in person, its 'chrome')
ive also sanded and polished the stock front rims (3+hours), but they need alot more time.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/glamiskid395/my%20400ex/400expolishproject033.jpg