PDA

View Full Version : my quad won't start (again)

tman12345
04-03-2008, 12:45 PM
On my quad the muffler has rotted and cracked all the way around where it meats the header. Now when i try to start my quad nothing happens, no noises at all. When i roll it back or forward with my finger on the starter it makes clicking noises and sparks where these exhaust is cracked. I am getting a new exhaust, but need the other problem fixed too. please help.

Hondamaster5505
04-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by tman12345
On my quad the muffler has rotted and cracked all the way around where it meats the header. Now when i try to start my quad nothing happens, no noises at all. When i roll it back or forward with my finger on the starter it makes clicking noises and sparks where these exhaust is cracked. I am getting a new exhaust, but need the other problem fixed too. please help.

Uh oh:ermm:

It sounds like your motor siezed up...

It should make a sound likes its turning it over, and if the battery is dead, it wont turn the engine over but the started will make a wierd clicking type noise. I don't know how to explain it.

So, it either siezed or the battery died.

Hondamaster5505
04-03-2008, 02:10 PM
also, maybe a bad starter, loose connection, after reading your post better.

Make sure your battery's good, then replace the starter and exhaust, and if it still doesnt do anything, your motor's probable siezed.

moorhous
04-03-2008, 02:25 PM
take the spark plug out and try to start it. after you know theres a good charge on the battery if it still clicks than the motor maybe junk. if it turns over the battery my just be old

tman12345
04-03-2008, 02:30 PM
well i thought it was the battery at first. it was serviced about 2 months ago and had a new camshaft put in and the guy said everything looked fine and i got to see it. I charged the battery yesterday tried to start today and it still did it. I'm thinking some electrical crap is messed up. i don't think its the motor at least i hope to god its not. any more help?

tman12345
04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
also how does a motor become seized? lack of oil? if so i always make sure oil is good?

trx400EXtreme
04-03-2008, 02:39 PM
bad valve adjustment can cause the valve to shoot through the piston.

Hondamaster5505
04-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by tman12345
also how does a motor become seized? lack of oil? if so i always make sure oil is good?

Yes, lack of oil or overheating it.

Just because you check and change the oil doesnt mean the pump cant go bad. thus not feeding oil to the engine.

It doesn't turn over at all? like i said, try to change the exhaust, then the starter.

lorenjr83
04-03-2008, 03:12 PM
clean up your frame where your subframe bolts on. sounds like a bad ground and it was grounding thru your pipe

monte433
04-03-2008, 03:19 PM
What he said

Brauap
04-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Uh oh:ermm:

It sounds like your motor siezed up...

It should make a sound likes its turning it over, and if the battery is dead, it wont turn the engine over but the started will make a wierd clicking type noise. I don't know how to explain it.

So, it either siezed or the battery died.

Not nes-c-lair-ly (I can spell it, haha, so, sound it out!) Mine did the same thing, but the wires when bad in 2 or 3 spots, what a pain, but we got it fixed. But iy could possibly have siezed, ofcourse you can it in water, thats how it rusted, maybe there got a little water in the header, but the air kept it out, but then you turned it off, there was to pressure, so it slowly dripped in there... maybe thats why the welds are on the inside, incase a little water gets in.. hhmm.. who know?!

BlasterEaten250
04-03-2008, 03:28 PM
It could be the starter relay.

tman12345
04-03-2008, 04:54 PM
ill try some of these things and if i can't figure it out i'll bring it to a pro. Anymore suggestions?

lorenjr83
04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
rub the two pieces of you pipe together to make good contact and hit the button while holding the two together

tman12345
04-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by lorenjr83
rub the two pieces of you pipe together to make good contact and hit the button while holding the two together

i'll try that tommorrow its to late now since its night. i tried to clean up subframe/frame connecting point and it did not work. will try more tommorrow. and i also broke the bolt for one of the parts where the subframe bolts on, wow i have such good luck.

tman12345
04-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by lorenjr83

well i was so determined to fix it that i did it anyway and it worked thanks for all your help.

lorenjr83
04-03-2008, 08:58 PM
when you said it sparked there that gave it away. glad you got it to work.
but you still have an issue with your grounding between the main frame and sub.