PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions from a 1st time quad owner

DadRider
04-03-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm Dad, my son picked up a 2000 EX400 that I, er WE are putting carrier bearings and brakes all the way around on, and pretty much just cleaning up. It's in remarkable shape for it's age, I'm really impressed. This is our 1st quad, but not my 1st bike, I presently own a old school YZF600r for the street and a SV for trackdays. I have 3 questions and help on 1.

The swingarm moves about an inch or 2, (this is with the shock and linkage out of there for a cleaning and relube). It feels like the bearing in the swing arm are siezed or rusted up. And the long pivot bolt won't budge yet even though I've been soaking it. Sounds like the bushings are toast? Any sugestions about getting the swingarm pivot out of there short of heating it up?

I read Mickey Dunlaps 2 tech articles. I'm interested in changing the headgasket, pulling the base gasket and probably just adding a slipon for now. Does anybody still do that mod as far as just pulling / changing the headgasket? Is the higher compression going to require a major rejetting? I know a slipon with probably need a jet change, but how much more with the slightly higher compression?

Rear Shock and front too. I see the 3 compression, rebound and preload adjustments. Does a quad require "Sag adjustments" like sportbikes do as far as spring preload goes? Is there a figure to shoot for as far as rider on and rider off the bike?

Thanks for any insight you might have. This Honda really seems tough. Back in the 80's I had an ATC 90 briefly. But this is what Honda should have built instead of that old ATC. It looks really well built.

Dad.

hornetgod13
04-03-2008, 09:02 AM
A siezed swingarm bolt is a common occurance with 400EX's. Since it's a 2000, it's safe to say it will be a nightmare to remove. Here's a link to several old threads about the topic.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=1869191&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending
Perhaps you can get some ideas on how best to handle the situation.

BigBore24
04-03-2008, 09:53 AM
i removed my base gasket and used rtv high temp silicone and havent had any problems. replacing the head gasket with a thinner one but i wouldnt replace it with rtv like some do. the extra compression shouldnt require a jetting change but your right the slip on will. make sure to torque all the engine components to specs. i ended up having to use a torch to get my swinger bolt out (2000 model also) cutting them out is proly gonna b the only way to go. soaking them will never get you anywhere. you can try a sawzaw but i wasnt able to get through the tough bushins

Mitragorz
04-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by DadRider
I presently own a old school YZF600r

I've got an '02 600R. Are you a member of the 600R site?

Ruby Soho
04-03-2008, 12:36 PM
like hornet said, its gonna be a nightmare. my 99 was frozen, i had to chop it out with a grinder.

DadRider
04-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I've already ordered a new pivot bolt, and a Pivot works set in anticipation. It is gonna be a fun 1.

Hey Mitragorz. Yeah, I am a member on the Kitty forum. I've been there a long time, but don't post near as much as the others.

Hint, I have been to 3 Gap Meets, and I live in the south. Want to guess who I am?

Thanks again for all the help.

Dad.

DadRider
04-03-2008, 08:02 PM
I did a search and found out what I needed to know about the sag. It's a little more involved than a sportbike, but when we get this fine machine back together, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Dad.

Mitragorz
04-04-2008, 08:51 PM

Hint, I have been to 3 Gap Meets, and I live in the south. Want to guess who I am?

I did some research on the site, but I can't single anyone out! I don't know who does and doesn't have kids.

wildchilds74
04-04-2008, 10:21 PM
I presently own a old school YZF600r for the street and a SV for trackdays.

Sounds like you have almost the same bikes in your garage as mine...
I have an 03 RC51 (street and track day use), and an 04 400EX,
Stacey has an 04 R6 (the silver with black flames), 01 SV 650 (will be for street and track use after we get the new body work on it)
I finally talked her out of the new yellow R6 with flames to go with her silver R6, instead we are getting her a new car...

DadRider
04-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Mitragorz, I live way way down south. Like in New Orleans.

This is YzJeff. I didn't know you had a EX.

I am making progress on the swingarm bolt. The swingarm moves up and down freely now, has lots of travel and can also turn the pivot bolt, but may have to cut the bolt to get 'er out of there.

wildchilds74, you guys have a good mix of single, Vtwins (really like the RC51) and I-4 in your garage.

It takes a little getting used to going from an I-4 to a V2 on the track, but the SV is fun, and very forgiving...

Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions. It has been a real help on this swingarm issue, that's why I went ahead, and ordered the parts first. I kinda had a feeling it was going to be a toughie.

Again Thanks.

Dad.

wildchilds74
04-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Just curious...

What have you done to the SV?
We have a full set of plastics from 2wheeljunkies, it has the cut out for the headlight so she can also ride it on the street. We have yet to mount it all up since we don't have a good main fairing stay yet.

DadRider
04-05-2008, 04:08 PM
This is how I bought the bike:

Woodcraft rearsets
Woodcraft clipons
05 CBR600RR master cylinder(bigger than stock, better initial bite)
ss front brake lines
Vesrah RJL brake pads
Two Bros full system(more air out)
tank spacers (more air in)
air box hole enlarged(more air in)
jetted, 152.5, air screw at 3, I forget needle position
Penske Double
Racetech Emulators, .90 springs, 2/1 mix of 20w and 30w fork oil, new fork seals, air gap at 120mm
Stompgrip
520 chain 15-45 gearing, or 46, you choose
Motosliders frame sliders(only crashed on once!)
Iridium sparkplugs
Pilot races.

The Penske was pulled off and sold and I later got the bike for a better price. It has a 636 shock on it. I have only bought a Scotts damper for it, I ordered a set of 1/2" dogbones to raise the rear, and I'm looking for a Penske or Fox TC.

The bike has been down 5 or 6 times on the track so the tank is rashed. The previous gave me some S fairings that I am going to mount just to make it different again and to give me a windscreen to hide behind. :rolleyes:

It is a high mileage roller, but has good power, doesn't smoke and is a good bike for where I ride, which is NPR in Lousiana.

Yours?

Dad

wildchilds74
04-05-2008, 05:21 PM
She picked it up with a salvage title. Just rashed plastics and tank.
We got the SV650 R plastics as I mentioned. Been out of $$$ trying to work on the house. The main fairing stay is bent and we need a new one before we can mount the plastics.
We went through the bike and made sure it runs good, straight forks, ect... But that is all the further we made it. It's on hold while we try to pay for stuff around the house and a wedding this summer. Oh, yeah. . . And now a new car.

scott

bdtoady22
04-05-2008, 07:40 PM
ive talked to some local atv guys and they've had pretty good luck using an air hammer 3500 blows per min. id like to see a human do that. just my 2 cents

DadRider
04-06-2008, 01:21 AM
Swingarm is out. Diegrinder (not a dremel) and a couple of cutoff wheels and how many hours??

Anyway, that WAS miserable. Glad that is over. Parts should be on their way Monday.

Mitragorz
04-06-2008, 05:20 PM
I didn't know you had a EX.

Yeah, I picked up an '01 last summer. I made a small post about it on the 'cat forum way back. I don't know this forum's policy on linking to ther forums, so I won't post a link here.

But man, they're a blast to ride!

DadRider
04-26-2008, 11:22 AM
The Pivot Works kit was backordered. I looked around but waited on it. PW's customer service is great, and the kit had everything except a pivot bolt which I got from Ron Ayers.

Cleaned the swingarm up installed the kit. No problems with the reinstall. Installed the bearing carrier with new bearings, and seals. repaired the 2 hubs where the seals ride with speedi sleeves. Lubed the daylights out of that and put the back end together. Suspension moves good now.

Replaced the pads, bearings and seals in the front wheels. Bled everything, looked good.

The parking brake is frozen, looks like the shaft is rusted in there. The parking brake housing is cracked too, but it's holding brake fluid, no leaks, will have to replace the housing or the assy, I don't know yet.

The engine started, ran for 2 minutes and quit. Spent an hour troubleshooting, and she just caught and is running like a top. Cleaned the air filter and all is back together.

That was a chore, but I learned alot about the '400. Going to find an 18mm socket and check the plug, but I like what we have so far.