PDA

View Full Version : Comments about the DS650?!

BiggerRed 400ex
11-23-2002, 08:59 PM
A lot of people talk about the Banshee's, Raptors, Cannondales, Suzuki's but i dont hear much about the DS650!
Does anyone or everyone have any comments on it?? How good of a ride is it? What are its cons/pros?

11-23-2002, 09:07 PM
Well...no one talks about YUGOS hear either ..:D :devil
You truly do not want to hear what I have to say about those TURDS!!!.:blah

cheetah
11-23-2002, 09:18 PM
I heard they are very fast. They can easily smoke a raptor and as wide as a semi. Their dune quads only, no one thinks about putting them in the woods. So if your a dune rider it would probably suit you. As far as reliability, I am not sure maybe another member can tell you about that.

RED121572
11-23-2002, 09:18 PM
Your right bud, Ive seen one in a Harescramble race and I dont know a soul thats actually ridden one.

I havent ridden but have sat on one. I like the way it felt. It feels like it is a big and stable ride for a desert race.

I hear they are a good duner and great for Baja. Not so much for the woods though, unless your super talented, you can bench press the same as Triple H and your last name is Farr.

Most of my riding is out in the open and I wouldnt mind having a Baja Edition DS.

11-23-2002, 09:28 PM
well OK,. maybe i was lil hard on it ..thay are pretty good jumpers once you get use to it ..

roostin_dale
11-23-2002, 09:43 PM
my comments...big, wide, heavy

I guy in town used to have one and he loved it except it was too big for our tight trails

ryanh250ex
11-24-2002, 12:08 AM
my friend's dad has a piped and jetted DS. it seems to be very reliable (he hasn't had any problems with it yet) and quite powerful. while being a foce to be reckoned with on the track, he is a nightmare in the woods, with the wide stance of the big 650. it is so wide the sidewalls of his tires rub against the trees on the banks of the trails. he has had raptor owners ask him if they could sit on it and when they do they say if they knew this thing was around they wouldn't have bought a raptor. his friend with a modified raptor sat on it and said "why the **** didn't you tell me about how good this thing felt!" he seems to love it (everywhere except the trails, which we ride in alot). i think that if i had the option (and wallet) of buying either one of these machines, i'd probably end up with a DS. while it is extremely wide, it seems to be very stable and a **** of a quad. just dont buy it if you like tight trails or else you'll end up looking for something else.

BiggerRed 400ex
11-24-2002, 02:03 AM
Ok cool.... thanks for the responses..... I was just curious...... just thinkin of a second quad down the road and my buddies do a lot of dessert riding

11-24-2002, 06:22 AM
they are great except for the width. if thats not a problem they seem pretty good

11-24-2002, 07:51 AM
Besides the machine being in need of serious diet,..:blah
The 2000 I owned had several problems
some major & some minor,..
Battery was junk within a few weeks of purchasing it,..after 30 hours of riding ..head gasket blew,,resulting in over $1,500.00 worth repairs..yes they covered it but who needs th hassle ??
also to this day
(I still know the new owner) ,,the headlight still has a short which no one can seem to fix,,:mad:
:rolleyes: ,I wont even get into the terrible designed frontend :devil ..& handling problem related to it..

Sparks425Ex
11-24-2002, 08:50 AM
I have ridin them and yes they are fast and ver powerful. But i also race againts one everyweekend during race season. I race Mx and this quad has the hardest time clearing most fo the jumps even the small ones because of the weight. He said he would rather hit big jumps because he has to go really fast to really get soem air. Small jumps aren't for the Ds. And they are wide but they are still tippy. If they sat a little bit lower they would be sweet for Mx. Well and go on a diet. Way to Heavy.

Dale512
11-24-2002, 09:03 AM
I currently have a 2000 DS650 with Exhaust, Jets, & Hi-Compression Piston.

Handling-It handles OK, but not in the woods......Im trying to sell it because Im getting into some XC Racing next season.

Engine-Very Strong, lots of Torque.........hits rev-limiter too fast needs a Alba CDI.

Suspension-Excellent, kinda soft for hard turning.......to much body roll.

If I was a Desert Rider I would not even consider selling it.

ryanh250ex
11-24-2002, 12:20 PM
the guy i know with a ds says the suspension does need to be tuned up some to suit your needs but after that it's good.

it definitely looks like it's heavy like a mofo, but the powerplant is friggen MONSTROUS so thats why. i'm sure some things on the quad could be replaced or trimmed to make it a bit lighter. the guy's previous machine was my dad's Crambler 500 so he knows how to deal with heavy machines

he changed tires from the stock dominators (that get eaten up super quick and find a hard time getting some form of traction) to Holeshots. he said it was a big improvement.

the older models have a serious problem with handling. it feels really twitchy in certain terrains. there are parts to cure it.

he seems really happy with it. however, he wishes he kept his scrambler (now my dad's) and modified it instead.

Chef
11-24-2002, 12:30 PM
The best thing about the DS is the power potential. Pami makes a 760 kit that pumps out a solid 75-80 horsepower! The DS's are a rotax powerplant, which makes big horsepower numbers easy to get. The worst thing about it is, the stock tires. They spin all over and the wheels bend if you drop the front end onto the ground from your trailer....

ChadEXer
11-25-2002, 01:17 PM
I think Bombardier done an awesome job with the Rotax motor, like Alky said, you can get awesome power out of the motor pretty easy, but as far as the quad in a whole, its Big, Heavy and SLOW for a machine with its cc size!!!