PDA

View Full Version : DOT or SNELL

m.h.s.c.#527
04-02-2008, 10:10 PM
i was reading the thing in dirtwheels what do you look 4 in a helmet

klutch
04-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Well truly i normally just went for looks... now i am going for DOT and SNELL (Mainly because my local track says SNELL Approved Helmets are now required or no riding) Approved. and looks ofcourse :devil:

04-03-2008, 06:01 AM
my nexy helmet will be DOT after reading Quad magazines article on the helmets. Snell is not need because i'm not going to get into many crashes around 80MPH considering my quad doesnt go that fast, its hard to go top speed on a 400ex unless you have a clear area, and I ride mostly trails and pits and even on the MX track you cant go that fast. DOT probally for me. Snell is good for impact with pegs and such but I normally stand clear of my quad if I fall.

Pipeless416
04-03-2008, 09:14 AM
theres no sense in taking chances with something as important as your head. i go for DOT and Snell approved. Worthwhile helmets are for worthwhile heads.

KB Motorsports
04-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
my nexy helmet will be DOT after reading Quad magazines article on the helmets. Snell is not need because i'm not going to get into many crashes around 80MPH considering my quad doesnt go that fast, its hard to go top speed on a 400ex unless you have a clear area, and I ride mostly trails and pits and even on the MX track you cant go that fast. DOT probally for me. Snell is good for impact with pegs and such but I normally stand clear of my quad if I fall.

I have that same article . It left me with more questions then answers.

I'd get a Snell and a DOT approved helmet. No sense taking the chance.

m.h.s.c.#527
04-03-2008, 05:39 PM
mines snell but they say for slow impact crashes dot cuz they give

bulkdriverlp
04-03-2008, 07:46 PM
why not just get the very best. you keep your brain in there when your riding a quad. no brain=no life. so just buy the snell, damn, why even question that??

04-03-2008, 07:56 PM
whether or not i feel like i can plow my face into the bars and it no break, actualy felt a little uneasy about my cheap one industries but im pretty confident with my new 661.

klutch
04-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Why not just buy one that is approved by both? I have a GLX right now... it is only DOT Approved... i never really thought it mattered until i realised that SNELL was even higher and blah blah blah... now i am saving for a new helmet.

trailrider1156
04-04-2008, 08:53 AM
How much do you think protecting your brain is worth?
I always get a Snell & DOT approved lid cause i don't want to skimp on protectin' the noggin.

hungus07trx400
04-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Didn't that article say why some people pick one or the other? I don't think it's a matter of "Just get both!!!" I think if you have the Snell one and get into a lower impact crash, it doesn't give as much as the DOT, which could result in dangerous concussions. If you were just doing like trail riding, and puttin around not going very fast, I would use just the DOT one. Fast Racing and trail riding I would use SNELL or Both. The DOT absorbs more, which would be better if you just fell off crossing a log or something. The Snell might be too hard and not absorb at all.

KB Motorsports
04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
I didn't mean to buy two helmets. I meant to get a helmet that is approved by Snell and DOT. Your head is the best investment you can invest in.

klutch
04-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by hungus07trx400
Didn't that article say why some people pick one or the other? I don't think it's a matter of "Just get both!!!" I think if you have the Snell one and get into a lower impact crash, it doesn't give as much as the DOT, which could result in dangerous concussions. If you were just doing like trail riding, and puttin around not going very fast, I would use just the DOT one. Fast Racing and trail riding I would use SNELL or Both. The DOT absorbs more, which would be better if you just fell off crossing a log or something. The Snell might be too hard and not absorb at all.

They make Helmets that are Approved by both in one helmet...
They normally say it on the back of the helmet... Approved by SNELL then theres normally right under it "DOT" if it is a helmet approved by both.

hungus07trx400
04-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Yes but if its approved by Snell to handle the hard and fast type of impact, it won't offer the same ABSORPTION that a lower impact crash would entail. A helmet approved by BOTH will protect your head, no doubt about it, but making it so it can handle the 80 mph crash takes away from it's ability to ABSORB the slower stuff. It still keeps your melon intact, and will help prevent DEATH, but brings with it more of a risk for a serious concussion. The Article explains all of it, and in the end its up to you, obviously i Know "the head is the best investment, invest in your head, etc."