PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades

buildingup
04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Thinking about picking one up after I sell both my Honda 440 and my 05 DS 650 and have been wondering what kind of upgrades everyone is doing.

I have been thinking about getting the long travel front a-arms from epic along with a new rear swing arm and + 4 rear axle and maybe a +2 steering stem along with protaper bars.

Majority of my riding is prolly going to be dunes but am looking to get back into track riding and just want to know what others think. Really wish you could get the DS with a kick start and loose the electronic start but w/e.

Would you guys recemend any other quads or what. I am 6'4" and about 190 if that maters.

Julian

ds450maniac
04-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I am deciding between the DS and LTR because I've been told that they are good for taller people and I'm 6"0 and growing so I'm in the same boat as you so if I were you I'd concider a LTR in your decission to because they're good for track and idk about the dunes.

buildingup
04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
I've thought about a LTR but went to the dealer a year ago to check it out and was not to impressed...just something with it had me saying meh.

Also, how do the fuel injection system hold up compaired to carb...i know its apples to oranges but still...Lots of money is going to be spent and don't want to make a poor chose.

ds450maniac
04-02-2008, 09:08 PM
fuel injection is better in colder weather I know and with a carb you have to choke the quad and it takes a little bit longer than fuel injection does. Idk that much about fuel injection because I don't have a fuel injected quad yet, but I know that thur are some other guys that will correct me if I'm wrong about something.

buildingup
04-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Anyone else have anything to say about compairing this quad to others...

buildingup
04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Has anyone done suspension work on these quads yet...that will be one of the first mods I do...Long travel up front and wider axle with a swing arm to follow if needed then other little things added.

wzito001
04-03-2008, 05:51 PM
I have had my DS 450 since Dec and I love it. I am 6'0 205 pounds and I am comfortable on it. As for performance, I have been running it stock with the airbox cover off and baffle out. I had not had the pink wire cut last time I rode and the only quads that beat me are modified with pipes, filters, cams etc and that is not by much.
I cut the pink wire and put a velocity filter and motoworks pipe on this week and will be testing it out on Sunday. I highly recomend this quad to anyone looking. It is an engineering innovater and it is really surprising a lot of people!

jaredw
04-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by buildingup
Has anyone done suspension work on these quads yet...that will be one of the first mods I do...Long travel up front and wider axle with a swing arm to follow if needed then other little things added.

What kind of riding do you do. This already rides handles and responds sooo good.

buildingup
04-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Majority of my riding is dunes but I am getting back into the track scene and into trail riding...Trails are over 50" so don't have to worry about width.

THEMACHINIST
04-04-2008, 03:29 AM
ive order Aarms standard travel,axel,steering dampner,velocity air filter,full exhaust fmf titanium,from EPIC 2 month a go and still wayting:confused: but the next thing hits gonna be a rad and cv4 hose cause there some eating trouble with the quad but noting realy bad but i will take no chance.I'm racing so i dont want to have any over eating trouble.I got the DS450X and it is owsome but i will really know is value the first race.this quad rip like hell all ready so i cant to receive my parts:D

wzito001
04-04-2008, 07:40 AM
I waited a month to the day to get my pipe from Epic too. I don't think it is there fault though, the manufacturers are slow getting the DS parts made and out the door. Nice to finally get it on the quad though!

THEMACHINIST
04-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm not bashing the companie don't get me wrong:) But i'm like a baby, when i want someting i want it now ihihihihihi:D .But its nice to know every body have the same trouble (waiting):p did you see a big difference with you pipe?

wzito001
04-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah I understand, I was frustrated too because I am the same way. I was chomping at the bit to get this pipe in. In any case, I put it on last night, I only got to test ride it for a few minutes but man what a difference in sound and throttle response. It seems to have smoothed out the power band if that makes any sense. Before all the pull was at the top end, now it seems to be better across the whole thing. I will give it a good ride today, but it looks good so far! I am leaving work early to go do so!

BZ

THEMACHINIST
04-04-2008, 11:41 AM
cool have fun and give us a feed back of your ride:D have a good day

wzito001
04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Well, I got it out for a good ride today. Man what a difference with this pipe and wire cut!:D It is a different bike by far. Much more power and it is obvious throughout the whole powerband. Sounds good too, I don't have to worry about noise restrictions here either, so no silent cores for me!

I have heard good things about the FMF pipe you are waiting on, and epic is racing that pipe, I just didn't think I could wait that long so I went with the Motoworks. I am definatley happy with it though. Still need to cut the airbox down an inch, probably work on it this weekend. Take care...be safe!

BZ

THEMACHINIST
04-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I was crying to fast i receive my exhaust air filter and steering dampner and hours ago:D :devil: :macho so happyyyyyy.im going to ride tomoro all gave you a feed back guys:devil:

wzito001
04-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Nice! Have fun and be safe! Look forward to hearing what you think of the performance.

BZ

atvlover
04-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Hello all. Johnny with Motoworks. I am going to check and see why you guys had to wait at all for the exhaust. We have them in stock now. I am glad you liked the exhaust. Have fun riding.

dbkbushwacker
04-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by atvlover
Hello all. Johnny with Motoworks. I am going to check and see why you guys had to wait at all for the exhaust. We have them in stock now. I am glad you liked the exhaust. Have fun riding.

Do you have the carbon fiber pipes in stock?

atvlover
04-07-2008, 06:06 PM
The Carbon pipes will be done at the end of this week.

wzito001
04-11-2008, 06:50 AM
I was told about three weeks into waiting that you had the pipes but you did not have the emblems to go on them and that was the hold up. In any case, I am happy with the pipe it works well on this quad.

BZ