PDA

View Full Version : key switch relocation

jeff32073
04-02-2008, 06:50 PM
I have decided to change my handlebars and remove the key switch. What do i do with the two wires that the switch plugged into. If i plug them together my headlight stays on and I dont want to remove the headlight. Does anyone have any ideas?

Dirtblast
04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
wire in a toggle switch for your lights or some type of on/off switch

SET THE STAGE
04-02-2008, 10:01 PM
on my bike, i just leave the wires unplugged when i'm not running it and i usually just unplug them to kill it lol.

WHATEVER YOU DO, THOUGH, DO NOT LEAVE THEM PLUGGED IN FOR A LONG TIME IF THE BIKE IS NOT RUNNING. it WILL drain your battery. the idiot i got mine off of wasn't aware of that and was wondering why he had to use a battery charger to start it every time lol

bwamos
04-03-2008, 06:54 AM
I rewired mine to use the thumb kill switch by the clutch lever to turn the quad on/off. I use a tether kill switch so the thumb switch kill was redundant anyway.

I also always leave my battery on a battery tender when it's in the garage.

My friend simply plugs the 2 wires into each other, and when he turns off the quad he just disconnects the wires. Even with the lights off the CDI will drain the battery overnight if it's left plugged in.

panther99
04-03-2008, 07:06 PM
I did away with the kill switch and drilled a hole into the side of my plastic above my right fener (it could go on either side) i think a 1/2 inch drill bit was the size i used.... just my two cense.

Builthondatough
04-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Im not sure which wires your talking about, is it the lights for the headlight or the neutral and reverse indicator lights?

jeff32073
04-06-2008, 02:35 PM
The lights for the neutral is what stays on and i'm worried about it killing the battery. Mine never came with the key switch so I think I like the idea of just wireing it into the kill switch thats already on the bike. I will try to figure those wires out. Thanks for the ideas.

01exrider 281
04-07-2008, 04:30 PM
my quad was with just the two wires that u plugged together. they were always plugged in but i took all the lights off. now i put the key into the side of the plastic and use a kill switch also. and for a started button i have a Fly universale push button which is sweet lookin btw. just throwing that out there but u said u dont have the key switch though.

TRX-330
04-07-2008, 08:21 PM
what about a db kill switch for the start button what one works n what wires do i hook up, like what colors go to what colors n stuff

SET THE STAGE
04-07-2008, 08:28 PM
a dirtbike killswitch would work just fine. i'd suggest the yz ones. they're nice and clean looking.

as for the which wires, just take the back side of the stock killswitch off and take the two wires that hook to the thing that slides from side to side to kill it.

TRX-330
04-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Im talking about getting rid of that whole thing and using the db kill to start the bike. But what would i do to the old kill switch like wire the wires together so it will run?

SET THE STAGE
04-07-2008, 08:35 PM
i'm a little confused, but here's what i'm getting out of you

you'd want to just wire the stock kill so that it's always on (not the key switch because that would drain your battery) and i'm not exactly sure what you would need to use to substitute your starter button

TRX-330
04-07-2008, 08:37 PM
I want to wire the little slider kill to always on, and use a dirt bike kill for the start button under the stock slider kill. I would also like to use the square dirt bike kill what is that off of?

SET THE STAGE
04-07-2008, 08:58 PM
http://www.faster-minis.com/images/killswitch_tn.jpg

i think that's the one you're thinking of. that would be the yz style one that i mentioned. most people prefer that one.

D-7#61-450r
04-08-2008, 07:23 PM
The button you show Set The Stage is a nice starter button. Just open the stock multifunction switch on the bars and wire it the same as stock starter button.
As far as the kill switch goes you cannot use the same wires as the stock slider switch unless you can find a kill switch that is open circuit when tether cord is out. Most are closed when tether is out. The stock slider switch is reversed from most quads in that when running it completes the circuit and when off it opens the circuit. What you have to do for the kill switch is run one wire to chasis ground and the other to the positive coil wire. I hope this is not to confusing.

TRX-330
04-08-2008, 08:55 PM
how can i wore the stock slider kill switch to always one? I see what you mean to wire the dirt bike kill for a started button but still confused about the stock slider kill switch.

Y2daT420
04-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I juist got done puting a on off switch on the 300ex because the 3 yr old lost the only key LOL
but there should be two wires coming from your kill switch , youll need to connect them to the black and red wire coming from the key swicth,,,you should then be able to cycle the thumb swicth and turn the quad off and on juist like the key
.....if your using the thumb swicth you should already have a start button
( I juist wired a after market on off swicth to the wires coming from the key )