PDA

View Full Version : valve adjustment

rgasper33
04-02-2008, 05:14 PM
hey guys. I was just wondering a couple things. About how long did you guys go before your first valve adjustment. Mine has about 9-10 hrs on it right now. And I know people say that it is a noisy machine to begin with. Mine has always had the clatter which I guess is normal but that makes it hard to tell when the valves are needin adjusting. Will that clatter just get louder when they need it???

Evasiveone
04-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Every 15 hours. Get an hourmeter or a TrailTech Vapor with an engine timer on it. Every 15 hours I adjust valves and change the oil/filters. You will be surprised how long it takes to actually get 15 engine hours.

evil 525
04-03-2008, 09:38 AM
I've never adjusted valves on anything and I'm going to try. I have the 525 irs, I have read the manuel and what I'm not sure of is how do you find top dead center on this machine. being that I have never done this is there anything else I should know? :confused:

Evasiveone
04-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I put up a how to here.
Valve Adjustment on the KTM RFS engine (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=330339)

If you want the original post with my pictures it is here.
Original RFS Valve adjustment page (http://predatorowners.com/index.cfm?action=thread&catid=99&topid=438&thrid=42059)

rgasper33
04-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I guess that clatter just makes me nervous. But its prob just all in my head. So I should be good for a while longer then???

markemark2k6
04-03-2008, 07:24 PM
I've got an outlaw 525s and i was worried about the clattering u are talking about but after first service and valve adjustment it quit making that sound i put about 10 hrs on it first.

evil 525
04-06-2008, 10:49 AM
ok so I have a ? . it says to adjust the intake valves when the exhaust valves are opening that I get I can stop the rotation when the exhaust is half open. the problem I'm having is it says to adjust the exhaust valves when the intake valves are half closing but when the intake valves get past the point of open they just snap closed I can't stop them at half closed. am I doing something wrong?. I've never adjusted valves befor.:ermm:

rgasper33
04-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I read somewhere that if that happens turn the tires backwards so that they open back up half way.

evil 525
04-06-2008, 02:34 PM
i will try that. does this happen to every one else too.. is it uncommon for the 525 valves to not be adjusted. the .005 feeler went into the gaps on all of them. felt snug to me:huh

Bradracer18
04-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I do not know anything about this engine, but do you have your spark plug in? If so, it sounds like your "snapping" feeling is from compression....try taking out the plug

evil 525
04-06-2008, 03:06 PM
ya that's probably it. does every one take the spark plug out too. everyone says this is soooooo easy but if it is not shown to you its kind of confusing I even watched the video on this but the lighting in the video is too low to see anything.

Evasiveone
04-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by evil 525
ok so I have a ? . it says to adjust the intake valves when the exhaust valves are opening that I get I can stop the rotation when the exhaust is half open. the problem I'm having is it says to adjust the exhaust valves when the intake valves are half closing but when the intake valves get past the point of open they just snap closed I can't stop them at half closed. am I doing something wrong?. I've never adjusted valves befor.:ermm:

Just like RGasper33 said. After they roll past just roll the tires backwards till the valves are at the 1/2 way mark. I never take out the spark plug, what you are feeling is the valve springs pressure right after they roll over the cam lobe.

evil 525
04-06-2008, 10:38 PM
thanks alot guys for taking the time to explain it to me. as for now mine were in spec(weird after th first 15 hours)but this will definatly help me in the future.:D :D