PDA

View Full Version : honda 450r or kawi 450r

TrX450Rfreek
04-02-2008, 04:08 PM
im looking to get a 450 this summer and i have been wanting the honda 450r ever since it came out
and now im looking into the kawi 450r
i think the kawi is better because it has reverse and efi
but i was wondering your opinions
i have sat on a 450r at the dealers but the only 450 i have rode was a 04 yfz and i ride it everyonce in a while still
thanx

pro-rider46
04-02-2008, 04:10 PM
test ride them both and see what you think about them.

hondarules
04-02-2008, 06:01 PM
i like the honda suspension over the kawi but i like the power of the kawi over the honda

NJ450rider
04-02-2008, 06:06 PM
^I have to agree with what he just said^

I have a 450r built for mx. And i have ridden a few stock kfx450rs and one with a full exhaust, air filter, and power commander. In all honesty I loved the kfx450r alot more than my honda 450R. It is just as comfortable as a honda 450r.

But im waiting for the ultamite 450 machine to be released. I cant wait to get a KTM 450mx.

Vade
04-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Ive heard the kawis where the slowest 450 out there

NJ450rider
04-02-2008, 06:19 PM
a quick gear change and a few minor mods changes thats drasticly.

ryanowarrior
04-02-2008, 07:44 PM
what kind of riding are you goin to be doin there TrX450Rfreek??? trails, track both or what??

shipwash
04-02-2008, 11:22 PM
i own a 05 450r and i wouldnt trade it for anything else. ive also rode the kawi 450 and was not impressed in the least bit. i also drag raced my 450 against the kawi, kawi lost everytime even with me riding the kawi and not my honda.but everybody has their preferences.

klutch
04-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by shipwash
i own a 05 450r and i wouldnt trade it for anything else. ive also rode the kawi 450 and was not impressed in the least bit. i also drag raced my 450 against the kawi, kawi lost everytime even with me riding the kawi and not my honda.but everybody has their preferences.

I totally agree. I love my 04 450R. Would never trade it for anything else. I am not going to say anything about the Kawi's power or handling. But the Honda 450R still has the best handling/power In My Honest Opinion.

TrX450Rfreek
04-03-2008, 08:28 PM
ryanowarrior
il be doin mostly trails or fields since we dont have many tracks around me and i go out with my friends and go riding by train tracks and stuff
but i want to set it up for xc and maybe start racing when i get my license next year
but i will hit up the tracks everyonce in a while
the best track we have here that i know of is Sunset Ridge Mx
in Walnut,Illinois (where chad wienen is from)
and that is about 2 to 2 and a half hours away and ive already been there and liked it alot

klutch
04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Well for your styles of riding... it depends on how badly you need the reverse... i try not to get myself into a situation where i need it. If i have to turn around i make sure i can find a spot just to slide it around. Either way you wont be disappointed. I would just prefer my 450R over a KFX450.

Good luck with your choice.

Damian.

07trx400ex
04-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Im also interested in this. Can someone who has experience in GNCC, and ridden both give some info on the pros/cons.

Also, how has the performance of the kfx450r been compared to the other 450's.

Also, I really like the narrow front frame geometry with the longer a-arms, it seems as if there would be more usable travel and distribute the stress points on the frame better while offering very quick steering response. But this is only how I see it from a design standpoint and have never ridden one.

Even though the aluminum frame is very rigid, it seems like it would not be able to take the type of abuse of GNCC type races due to the aluminum alloy.

Also, it is so new.

Any input is greatly appreciated, because I have narrowed my 450 search down to these to and I think the FI is SHOUTING GREEN right now.

ryanowarrior
04-03-2008, 09:24 PM
well, guess its really up to you man on which way you go!! im sure you'll be happy either way!! im just not a big fan of the kawi and that alum frame just dont think it would hold up, like if it caught a tree or something like that! just my opinion though!! i have always been a die-hard honda fan myself i have 2 450r and wouldnt trade a thing for either one!! i mostly do the same kind of riding you do too!! and they kick *****!! but like i said you can get everyones opinion but its what you want or prefer you'll have fun on either one!!

TrX450Rfreek
04-04-2008, 07:14 PM
yea reverse deosnt bother me i wont have a prob pullin the quad backwards
but i think i will go with the TRX450R just because it has been out longer and i know honda is hella reliable
one more ? i heard the honda feels somewhat cramped
im almost 6 ft about 5'11' and 205lbs. and im 15 goin on 16 in october do u think it would be cramped for me
like i said i sat on it at a honda dealer and it felt good almost perfect but i never rode it and leaned goin into a corner and all the things u do when u ride a quad
thanx for the help

BadinBlack
04-04-2008, 07:52 PM
you should be fine. you will be a smarter man if you choose the honda.

klutch
04-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by TrX450Rfreek
but i think i will go with the TRX450R just because it has been out longer and i know honda is hella reliable
im almost 6 ft about 5'11' and 205lbs. and im 15 goin on 16 in october do u think it would be cramped for me
like i said i sat on it at a honda dealer and it felt good almost perfect but i never rode it and leaned goin into a corner and all the things u do when u ride a quad
thanx for the help

I am 6"1 i am 15 at about 140lbs... i feel great on my 450R.

TrX450Rfreek
04-04-2008, 09:12 PM
well i am coming off dirtbikes and right now i ride a 2002 Kawasaki KX125 and before that i rode a 2000 Honda xr80r
and the bike i started on was a 1972(i think it is a 72) Honda Elsinore MR50 yea beast bike 2 stroke clutch 50 so right now im like pro at clutch compared to my friends but i think that trx450 will be fine for me if the 80 will still pull me around the yard after i beat the piss out of it
and my family is honda fans and chevy fans (got the kx cuz it was like brand new for2000 lol)

ryanowarrior
04-04-2008, 09:39 PM
yea man you'll love the honda i promise!! but im 6'3 and i dont have any problems of being cramped at all so.......you'll be fine

rossignoldude81
05-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by TrX450Rfreek
thanx for the help

HEY DUDE... IM 6 FOOT 4 INCHES AND I DONT FEEL CRAMPED AT ALL... I MAY LOOK LIKE A GOOFY *******, NOT TOO SURE BUT IM COMFORTABLE AS ALL HELL ON THE TRX 450R

05-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by rossignoldude81
HEY DUDE... IM 6 FOOT 4 INCHES AND I DONT FEEL CRAMPED AT ALL... I MAY LOOK LIKE A GOOFY *******, NOT TOO SURE BUT IM COMFORTABLE AS ALL HELL ON THE TRX 450R

yeah i'm 6'1" on my 400ex and i'm not cramped and when I rode my friends dads 450r it felt very roomy. You might feel cramped if you were like 6'8" lol but it deffinately has a lot of room. 450r's handling and performance is great! Put the HRC kit on even and it hauls! I am a fan of Honda even though I disagree with some of the things they have done but they always fix it even if it takes a few years. I hear the new YFZ is supposed to be amazing but Honda no one knows for sure what the 2009 will have. I dont think its bold new graphics lol because Honda has a way that they do everyhing if you watch. They change little things like graphics or plastics and then they realease something great after a few years of having the same old stuff. If Honda doesnt step up to the plate and chnage what they have this year I think their sales will drop a lot. KTM I will say are very nice quads and the new MX version is pretty bad a**. I wouldnt buy anything until I see what the 2009's are like. But Honda has my vote vs the Kawi

450rJam
05-17-2008, 07:35 PM
I have only rode one kfx450 and it was only for 20 min or so........

it vibrated like crazy, it felt like my hands/feet where going to sleep

the power wasnt great but it felt like I was going fast through the trails because it was so loose. (it was 100% stock)

I would and did stick with honda
(my buddy has sold the kfx and rides an 06 yfz now)