PDA

View Full Version : Intake boots for oversize carb

kawi_rider_97
04-02-2008, 03:51 PM
I've been looking and I can't find the product I need. I have a 39mm carb that I need to connect to Boyesen reeds and then to a stock size airbox opening on the other side. Both of the boots are too small.

I found an oversize intake boot, but it is made for the stock reeds. I have the Boyesen reed cage, which is a one piece all aluminum deal instead of being 3 pieces like the stocker. The reeds I assume came with a rubber tube and the two hose clamp things.

Is there any product designed for this and where do I get it?

86 Quad R
04-02-2008, 04:08 PM
you can do one of two things with the rad valve. either order the rubber part from the manufacurer or get a rubber hose that fits. as for the carb to air box boot goes. you'll need to soak the boot in a pot of hot water and fit it to the carb and allowed to cool. once its been on there a while it'll hold memory.

havinnoj
04-02-2008, 05:38 PM
The Boyseen are a hassle. I know you can use a 38 A/S with slight work, so I would guess that you could use it after you've stretched it out with some heat. Or you could go with new reeds and use a UPP or Moose intake.

As for the airbox part I have no idea.

kawi_rider_97
04-03-2008, 02:36 PM
What kind of material hose can I use? I know that some stuff will melt with gas. What's safe?

beak7707
04-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I would call boyesen and get an intake boot for a CR250 rad valve since they are 38mm anyways. The back boot you can put in boiling water and get it to fit over the other end of the carb.

Aceman
04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
I would call boyesen and get an intake boot for a CR250 rad valve since they are 38mm anyways. The back boot you can put in boiling water and get it to fit over the other end of the carb.

Exactly, I took the one off my CR250 boyesen rad and used it. Worked perfectly on my 39mm carb. I wouldn't just try and find a "hose" that works, not worth taking a chance and ruining your engine. Do it right.

86 Quad R
04-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
Exactly, I took the one off my CR250 boyesen rad and used it. Worked perfectly on my 39mm carb. I wouldn't just try and find a "hose" that works, not worth taking a chance and ruining your engine. Do it right.

enlighten us as to how it will ruin an engine?

kawi_rider_97
04-04-2008, 03:37 PM
I think he means that if you use something that breaks down in gasoline that you will get rubber in your motor.

Aceman
04-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
enlighten us as to how it will ruin an engine?

Sure. Boyesen's boots are made for this purpose, there are grooves in the boot to match the grooves on the rad valve and the carb. When you cinch down those clamps you know you have a tight fit. But, just using any old hose(like a radiator hose) seems chinsy to me. Whether it'll hold up to gasoline is another possible issue. Not to mention, trying to find the right size hose and then fitting it, and using hose clamps to make it work doesn't sit well with me. Some things you can cheap out on, but something that may leak due to poor fit and lean out your motor shouldn't be one of them, IMO. But, in the end, it's your motor....do as you wish.;)

bushwesl
04-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Just call up Boyesen. I ran into this same problem when I switched over to a 38 A/S. I just looked through their poorly navigated website and found what I was looking for. They must have re-done their website a bit since I've ordered mine, because I just went through and tried to find it for you... no dice. Like I said, just call them up; here is the link to their website:
http://www.boyesen.com/cwo/Contact_Us

86 Quad R
04-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
Sure. Boyesen's boots are made for this purpose, there are grooves in the boot to match the grooves on the rad valve and the carb. When you cinch down those clamps you know you have a tight fit. But, just using any old hose(like a radiator hose) seems chinsy to me. Whether it'll hold up to gasoline is another possible issue. Not to mention, trying to find the right size hose and then fitting it, and using hose clamps to make it work doesn't sit well with me. Some things you can cheap out on, but something that may leak due to poor fit and lean out your motor shouldn't be one of them, IMO. But, in the end, it's your motor....do as you wish.;)

ahhhhh!! i can appreciate your concerns and point of veiw on this but fitting with a proper fitting rubber hose and an adequate clamp isnt a problem. and the issue with the hoses being affected by gas isnt either however, i'd certainly keep an eye on it if alkee were used as fuel. ;)

speaking of rubber deteriation........ i dont know if this has happened to others and i'm not "downing the boots used on the rad valve but, after about a year or so my boots get dry rott like you'd see on an ole tire. :eek2:

Aceman
04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
speaking of rubber deteriation........ i dont know if this has happened to others and i'm not "downing the boots used on the rad valve but, after about a year or so my boots get dry rott like you'd see on an ole tire. :eek2:

I did not know that....:D I'll keep an eye on it!

bkconwayls1
04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by bushwesl
Just call up Boyesen. I ran into this same problem when I switched over to a 38 A/S. I just looked through their poorly navigated website and found what I was looking for. They must have re-done their website a bit since I've ordered mine, because I just went through and tried to find it for you... no dice. Like I said, just call them up; here is the link to their website:
http://www.boyesen.com/cwo/Contact_Us

I just did this myself, easy enough. Just tell the girl what you have, and she will get ya what you need and take your cc number.

bkconwayls1
04-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Fits perfect, should of did this in the first place, and not wasted a top end.

j28d
04-18-2008, 02:08 PM
I use a boysen rad valve with the 38-41 hose adapter from boysen. As far as the other side, soak the stock airbox to carb boot in brake fluid on the fat end, heat it with a hair dryer, and carefully work it on. Or there is a guy on ebay that sells the 38-41 carb-airbox boot for 59.99. I use the stock airbox boot on my 38 pj and a 39 pwk, I let it sit inside for a day or so, soaked the fat end in brake fluid, and carefully used a tiny screwdriver to work it on(be careful not to poke a hole in it. Also, remove the choke knob assembly before trying this, if your hand slips it's the first thing to bend or break when your hand slams into it.

atvmxr
04-18-2008, 03:00 PM
i think you can use a LT500 airbox boot, or maybe thats only for aftermarket boxes... :confused: