PDA

View Full Version : shock res mounting option?

TheNewn
04-02-2008, 02:45 PM
I see on some of the PEP shocks the shock bodies have the steel braided hose coming from the body to the ressy like a remote ressy shock, but they use some sort of clamp to clamp the ressy to the top of the shock body to effectively make it a piggy back.

PEP is the only company i've seen like this and i was wondering if anyone has tried or thought about doing something similar with their remote reservoir shocks?

I was thinking clamps similar to these

http://billetclamp.com/products.html

I think it would look cool and give a bit more options if something like a steering stabilizer got in the way of ressy mounting.

Input?

ohsobad_chevy
04-02-2008, 03:34 PM
You can get almost all shocks with either remote rezies like the ones your talking about or you can get them in piggyback with the rez attached.
The clamps you seen would work good. I have seen a lot of people use the spacer and hose clamps. Just clip off the excess so it doesn't rattle and look goofy.

ohsobad_chevy
04-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I actually prefer a piggyback style, which is easier to deal with, you don't have to find a spot to mount the rezie and I think they look better. JMO

TheNewn
04-02-2008, 04:08 PM
I perfectly understand most companies make both. I have Piggy back ressys on my 250R and my dad has remote on his raptor 700, both Elka.

I just like to keep options open, this way it would seem you could buy Remote while having the ability to make ti piggyback.

while if you have piggy back, you cant make it remote.

Honda#4
04-02-2008, 04:08 PM
I heard that rezzies cool alot better than piggybacks but idk, I like my rezzies alot so I cant complain.

trx400EXtreme
04-02-2008, 04:11 PM
yes, with remote rezzies the nitrogen cools better because it has longer to travel thus making the shocks last a little bit longer. but you also have exposed lines. having piggybacks is just over all more convenient. remote rezzies are cheaper though.

TheNewn
04-02-2008, 04:23 PM
On the same turn, piggy backs jsut kinda 'stick out there' and you can tuck remote ones in.

Before i had my elka's i was rocking the stockers and i had a stick very quickly and with a seeming vengence slam up right through where the elka ressy would have been. busted the plastics all up...nothing zip ties cant fix...

racernorris
04-02-2008, 05:19 PM
actually the piggy back shock works better than a remote, the closer the rezzie is to the shock the more reactive it is to the fluid movement (the fittings and long lines restrict and inhibit flow of the fluid) if the rezzie was just for storage (non adjustable) then it would not matter as much how close the rezzie is to the shock body, but if it has a compression adjuster, the father away fom the shock body the longer it take for the adjuster to affect the fluid movement. in other words its easier to fill the difference for every degree of compression adjustment made on a piggy back, than a remote rezzie. take in to account that different brands of shocks respond more or less the same.

norris
quinn motorsports:macho