View Full Version : 400ex help!

H0ndaguy756
04-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok so me and my dad rebuilt the top end on my 400ex. We put in new rings and valve stem seals.Me and him and a bunch of other guys went riding about 4 weeks ago. We rode about 4-5 hours that day. Came home and put the bikes up. Last weekend we were going to go out riding again but my fuel was pouring out of the overflow and wouldn't stop. Put the carb in the shop to have them clean it out. It's fixed and doesn't piss out. So we got that back today and put it back onto the bike. Turned the fuel on (bike was off) to make sure it wasn't going to piss out and it didn't. Turned the bike on and gave it the gas and let it idle and kept doing that to make sure it was fixed for sure. I was standing next to the bike and started to smell something burning. Didn't see anything so we let it idle. Then I started to see some white smoke coming out by the engine. The bike runs great and idles fine and everything. Smoke is coming from the front of the pipe. It isn't coming out of the end of it. It's pretty bad and is burning a lot of oil. Like I said, we replaced the rings and seals on the valve steams and we already went riding and it ran great and still does. The only problem we now have is it's started to smoke again. What can cause this problem? Another thing, at first he said it was only running on choke then after a minute or so it would run without. I'm guessing he didn't let it warm up enough but I'm not sure if this is/can be tied with why it started smoking while it was just sitting there. What can cause it to do this? We want to know if we can fix it without putting it into the shop!

drew416ex
04-02-2008, 02:48 PM
All I can think of is maybe the valve cover is leaking oil onto the header. If those bolts are just barely overtightened they can strip or break causeing a leak.