PDA

View Full Version : How many of you guys wear riding boots?

ojcool
04-01-2008, 10:20 PM
I have always just worn steel toe boots, but I'm wondering if there is a big difference with an actual MX boot. They look kind of constrictive like ski boots. What exactly are they supposed to do for you?

the Z Man
04-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Once you get used to them you will not ride without them, highly recommended.
If you foot slips off the pegs you could get chewed up and spit off the back, hard landings could save you a trip to the hospital with a broken ankle, protect you from rocks or debris from your buddies roost....on and on, find one that is comfortable at the shop and buy a used pair off ebay or something to save a few bucks, I wear Thor T-30's htey are discontinued but the most comfortable and practicle for me. I found a like new pair for 100 shipped, its the 4th. pair I have purchased.

Bradracer18
04-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I do. I also wear Thor's. Boots are great. Like said, you never know what can and will happen and boots just help to prevent that happening to your legs/feet. They are fairly constrictive, but that's the point. Its tougher to shift, but you get used to it, and won't go back.

eerhard09
04-02-2008, 06:17 AM
I am with these guys. I don't feel comfortable now not wearing my boots. I have the T-30's just like these guys and find them to be very comfortable for an inexpensive pair of boots. I like the fact that my calf and shin are protected from slip off (not that it is as bad with nerfs) but also the protection from the elements. You can stand in water for periods of time w/o your feet getting wet. Plus, I wear a couple pairs of socks and it keeps my feet warm in the winter!

04-02-2008, 07:00 AM
the first 2 or 3 times was awkward, but i will not ride without them..they saved me from having a broken ankle a few years ago...

SSJEFF
04-02-2008, 08:25 AM
did not wear riding boots forever, I used my military boots. I have fox tracker offroads and they are decent. They are not waterproof though. They support the ankle pretty well. I road with a guy that broke his ankle and it is not a pretty site. He had running shoes on because he forgot his riding boots.

jjd223
04-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Jeff, your feet will get wet with alot of different MX boots. What i have found that helps is to wear ATV pants that go over the MX boot rather than tuck inside it and it helps alot. most of the water/mud will shed off the pants.

Joe

eerhard09
04-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by jjd223
Jeff, your feet will get wet with alot of different MX boots. What i have found that helps is to wear ATV pants that go over the MX boot rather than tuck inside it and it helps alot. most of the water/mud will shed off the pants.

Joe

Yeah, that is another thing I wear, over the boot riding pants. That keeps crap from running down in the top of the boots!

bossman525
04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
what about those 50-50 boots, anybody try those? they seem to have ankle protection. i wear danner boots that are waterproof and all that, but i have tried on the full length riding boots and talk about awkward feeling. but it does seem the 50-50 boot offers some level of protection if you don't race.

SSJEFF
04-02-2008, 04:29 PM
I also wear over the boot pants also. The trackers just seem like the water rushes into them when hitting a mud puddle. I hate my feet getting wet with socks on lol.

67mopar
04-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by bossman525
what about those 50-50 boots, anybody try those? they seem to have ankle protection. i wear danner boots that are waterproof and all that, but i have tried on the full length riding boots and talk about awkward feeling. but it does seem the 50-50 boot offers some level of protection if you don't race.

i also would like to kno wat people think of the 50-50 boots, i just use work steel toe boots and have also bought oneal boots from pep boys,lol, i kno that more expensive better quality boots would be better but i dont like the feeling with full length boots. i was thinking with the 50-50 boots that u wont hav the akward feeling and will still have the protection wen ur not on the track and on a trail.

Bradracer18
04-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Honestly guys, I don't think you will get near the protection. And again, honestly I think most of the uncomfortable part comes from the ankle/top of foot area(stiffness). Its not the area around the calf that bothers me anyways.

eerhard09
04-02-2008, 08:27 PM
I think the 50/50 boots would be great if you use nerfs WITH the nets (just for you ssjeff). It really doesn't matter if you are racing or not, bad luck can strike anyone at anytime!

smokinwrench
04-02-2008, 08:54 PM
I have wore boots for years I think mine are Thor T-40. Bougth them a few years ago, like everyone else they were weird at first and I missed afew shifts. After a few rides they break in move your shifter up 1 notch and you'll never ride without them again. I can wear them from sunup to after the beer is gone. Just have to give them a chance and you'll be convinced they are the best.

Ever notice that when you get to jumping big your foot wraps around the peg on landing and is sore, doesn't happen with riding boots.

525 Outlaw Dude
04-02-2008, 09:38 PM
ya i also highly rrecomend them!!! when i was at the Eddiesville track in washington my are slipped of and my right foot fell off and went under the right rear outlaw wheel, my ankle would have been no dought broken with any normal boot or shoe
(Recomended Brands)
-Fox (Their F3 boot state of the Art, when i get enough money their what im buying)
-Oneal (these are what i own, easy to clean and comfortable, safe)
-Thor
-Alpine

the Z Man
04-03-2008, 06:19 AM
I think the 50/50 boot was designed for the pit bikes, because they are so small its hard to ride with normal boots.

LT250_JOE
04-05-2008, 07:22 PM
I only trail ride and the Thor 50/50 boots have been awesome. I used to wear steel toe work boots, but never again. I give the 50/50's two thumbs up.:macho

ratso
04-16-2008, 10:47 AM
I ride in thor 50/50 boots. They feel great. No need to wear full boots on a quad you dont take your feet off pegs like you do on a bike. I do not recommend riding in shoes or work boots!!